We are thinking about adding in Congas to our jam

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby Ruslan » Sat Sep 08, 2001 9:21 pm

We are a group of guitar players (3 guitars, one bass) that regularly jam. It is a mix of acoustic and electric music (but not Latin or African music). We want to add some drums in, and felt it would easier to use congas, instead of a full drum set (or a real drummer for that matter). So.....for the rhythm challenged guitar player.....

1. What size congas are best?
2. Should we buy the cheapest things out there (I gather that means a pair of TOCAs from Guitar Center). Will we be able to tell a higher quality Conga (especially one poorly played by a guitar player)?
3. Are fiberglass congas just fine?
4. Should we have two, three or four or more congas (or bongos)?
5. Should we be considering any other percussion?
Ruslan

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 10, 2001 6:01 pm

Any of your questions concerning choice has been answered and discussed in earlier posts. Check it out and decide on your own.

In general, a percussion player who is motivated can spice up every session. If youdo not want to stick to special rhythm traditions, try any percussion instrument, especiallycongas and bongos, assorted bells, shakers, and perhaps timbales. A whole setup is of course not really cheap, but why not building or even inventing instruments on your own?

By the way, a listening tip (even if it is of Latin descent):
Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos (The prosthetic Cubans) = beautiful e-guitar and acoustic bass sound with a relaxed, but hot percussion contributions.

Cheers, Mike
Mike

Postby Pancho » Wed Sep 26, 2001 2:46 pm

Congas go great with guitar & bass, but why not add a drummer? Find a congero who would want to sit in...I developed a setup with congas, hihat, ride cymbal, and snare for a jazz configuration similar to yours, and we all had a great time with it.
As far as Guitar Center Toca's; they are a great price, and for what you're doing, should work fine. Bass carries the bottom, congas the beat, guitars main voices.
Depending on the type of music, adding a hihat, or cowbell or plastic woodblock controlled by the foot to keep tempo helps as well.
Descarga On...
Poncho
Pancho

Postby Ruslan » Tue Oct 02, 2001 1:27 pm

Well, I picked up a pair of LPs (10" and 11") for 趤 at Guitar Center. They sounded better than the Toca's for 赨, especially when played by a real drummer (one of their staff). We then brought in an amateur drummer who primary experience was playing in marching bands about 20 years ago (we are not as poor of musicians as this sounds). He went back and forth between sticks and hands, depending on the song. Mixed in with an amped acoustic guitar, two electrics and a bass, we ended up with an extremely good sound. There is no substitute for an "intelligent" drummer, this one is a lawyer in real life. A very satisfying result. We mostly did blues-rock type material. Probably as good a jam and chemistry as I've ever had in a group. Shame we all have day jobs and mortagage payments to make, and will never take the act on the road.

I want to thank the newsgroup for all their posts. Reading them was helpful in making my decisions.
Ruslan

Return to Miscellanea