Miguel Cruz y lot of other Skins - have you heard?

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby benbaboon » Sat Dec 08, 2001 6:31 am

Awesome playing.... not quite charanga not quite rumba.. yet at the same time very much both.
Called "Miguel Cruz y sKins", Kubaney label 1993.
A very nice cocktail of rumba and son claves

I never found the name anywhere... searched descarga and any other music db i land on....and the cover doesn't say who the band is... or where they're from.. my intuition says florida, but that's the only confirmation I ever got....
Anyone knows more?

highly recommended album, and probably still available on Descarga.
benbaboon

Postby benbaboon » Sat Dec 08, 2001 6:33 am

me bad idiot.... album name is "Noche de Rumberos"... the only one I ever found.
benbaboon

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Dec 08, 2001 4:04 pm

Hi Benbaboon Miguel Lives here in Miami,i played with him and his wife 2 weeks ago in a little place he works at called Rumba 6. the album your talking about is from the early 80's, and it was recorded in LA. What you have is a re-release done hear. Danilo Lozano was on flute, Bobby Trinidad on congas Tony on bongos,another brother on tres guitar whose name escapes me and Edwin on timbales,and also the late great Pablo Mozo on minor perc. Miguel has not slowed down he is still playing and puting on his show....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby benbaboon » Sat Dec 08, 2001 6:43 pm

Thanks a bunch JC.... I've been waiting on this info for quite some time.... couple of questions though, if you'll indulge me:
Does Miguel play... sing... an arranger?
Do you know of any other albums of similar taste?
benbaboon

Postby Rumbaon6 » Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:18 am

Miguel now lives in Miami and you can see him play at 6g Alternative Art Space's "Rumba on 6" on Friday nights, where he is the musical director of the venue. If ever in Miami on a Friday night, make sure to visit "Rumba on 6" where you can listen to real Guaguanco, Columbia, Yambu, Plena y Bomba!
Rumbaon6

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Dec 09, 2001 2:00 pm

Miguel does it all play, sing and arranging. I have another album by him done in 1982 on SRP records from LA. it is called Musico,Poeta y Loco.with his group Skins. It is a tough one to find, I don't think he even has a copy,but I do!...ha ha ha....JC JOHNNY CONGA......
JohnnyConga

Return to Miscellanea