My Rant - On representing the instrument

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby 120decibels » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:45 pm

Recently, I have been auditioning and sitting in with a variety of bands as a search for a new place to play. I have sat in numerous smoky bars and watched countless bands who have percussionists. These bands range from folk to blues to jazz to latin to rock.

My rant about a lot of these percussionists is that they are not representing the instrument and the history well. Poor technique, poor posture, playing with things like brushes (I'm not against being innovative), and lack of feel abound! We all play an instrument that is part of a tremendous amount of culture and history. When we play that instrument, we have a responisibility to carry that history and communicate it.

Regardless of the situation, I implore all of you to do your best to bring the beauty, power and history of latin percussion to the forefront of your playing. Play with good technique. Carry yourself with good posture. Think about the history of Latin music when you figure out what you're going to play.

I have no problem with anyone who wants to play a drum in a band. I also have a great deal of respect for the theraputic aspects of drumming. I have facilitated a number of group drumming and theraputic drumming sessions. I just think that those of us who have chosen to study the technique and history have an obligation to communicate that history in our playing and teaching. To those who choose to ignore the background of the instrument: Play. Have fun. Good Luck. I hope that drumming makes you happy.

I realize that this is a little different than a lot of the other things that I have posted on the forum. If you think I'm being an a**hole, please let me know. I'd appreciate reading anyone's comments on the subject.

Zach
120decibels

Postby Mike » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:15 pm

Hey, you speak directly from my heart, brother.
As a music teacher, I also make my pupils find out important details on the history and culture of Latin, Afro-Carribean or whatever-you-may-call-it -music.
Even if you are not a Latino or ahave been living in a Salsa-oriented environment or whatever, you MUST -as a serious hand-drummer- at least TRY TO UNDERSTAND the culture behind the music.
I didn´t quite get your words about "posture" - what do you mean? I believe straight sitting and a certain pride in + while playing goes with any good drummer...?!?
Of course, the macho-aspect of this music in general is sometimes diametrically opposed to the goals of modern emancipation, blah, blah. .. But I think, at least musically speaking, this topic has been overrated. Sorry if I hurt any conguera´s feelings. But then, I have also seen female drummers with the exactly right amount of aggressiveness you need for this music.

But that was not the point. I agree you can see a lot of "world music" (what´s that? everything is world music ? Look a t Henry Purcell and his Italian influences!) or self-entitled "funk" percussionists who just try to be trendy-groovy, beating the last $%& out of their drums by speedy 16ths......

I think your post was first and foremost a sign against shallowness among the drumming people.
IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PLAY, HOW YOU PLAY IT!

And therefore I´m gonna play -- NOW!!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby 120decibels » Fri Nov 22, 2002 7:51 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the support!

What I meant about posture was kind of all-encompassing. Yes, we do need to attempt to sit up straight while playing the drums for a number of reasons. My comment on posture was more a pride issue.

Take pride what you're playing. Take pride in the history and culture. Take pride in yourself. I promise you that you will sit up straighter when you are filled with pride.

Okay, generally I'm not that touchy-feely a person. However, I am sort of a zealot about this stuff, so bear with me.

Mike, you're right. It does matter what you play, how you play it, and all of the attitude around it. You don't have to be macho or male to carry yourself with pride.

Vaya congueras! We need more of you!

Zach
120decibels

Postby DaBid_Son » Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:40 am

Hey Zach

I've been thinking about your post all week and I have to say I agree with you whole heartedly. Like you say it does matter what you play, how you play it. You also improve yourself if you know where it came from (i.e. history). Sure you can be solely dedicated to playing a tumbadora in a rock, funk or country band, but you will greatly limit yourself in your capacity play and understand the instrument if you are closed minded towards its originating genre of music.

I always try to remain open to new techniques, if I become set in my ways I cease to learn and as you know the tumbadoras are a lifetime of learning.

So when we teach others to play these ideologies should be incorporated.

some thoughts,

David
DaBid_Son

Return to Miscellanea