Performance Ready???

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby KingKongas » Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:50 am

I didnt know where else to start this post so I chose this one... I'm not in a band and do not perform on a regular basis. I have performed as part of a percussion ensemble in front of an audience and it's the greatest feeling. I was asked to play with a Latin Jazz band by a friend of mine and my heart says go for it. But is there some rule of thumb or some kind of inner perspective I should go through before committing to this endeavor? I'd like to hear from the performers or band people out there as well as from any other drummer. I've been practicing like crazy on my own and people have heard me play and think it sounds pretty good but I was wondering about actually performing in clubs, etc. I've never actually performed in a club like setting and am a little apprehensive. Any advice for me??? Should I just show up, set up my congas, and play, or are there some tips from you veterans out there that might help me out? I am a big listener of Latin Jazz as I am a big listener of any percussive music. The standards I feel I can handle (at least in the friendly confines of my own home!!!). ;)
KingKongas

Postby 120decibels » Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:59 pm

King,

There is a lot to consider. However, there's no better way to get into band playing than to do it.

If you can, take a listen to what they are doing. That way, you know that kind of rhythms that you'll need. The truly experienced and talented can sit down in a situation and just make it happen, but I try to prepare a little bit up front. It could be as simple as finding out that they have a bunch of mambo tunes, a guauanco, etc. Or if they have anything recorded, get a copy and work on it. This could also help you decide if you want to play the music that they're playing.

Personalities can be an issue too. Make sure that you want to (or at least can put up with) spending lots of time with these folks.

From the personal side, playing for people in clubs can be very rewarding, and it can also suck. If the audience is there and they're interested, it's great. However, every musician has played to an empty or disinterested audience. It's a drag sometimes. Once you've rehearsed with a band enough, playing in a club is just a rehearsal with distractions. The audience, other noise, women (or men, depending on your gender/preference), etc.

There are a lot of other pros and cons to club playing. For instance, you get your name out there and people see you play. If you're confident enough, this can lead to teaching and other gigs. On the other side, bar owners and patrons can be a pain. I sometimes play with a pair of Aspires instead of my nice drums if I know that there's a good chance that beer could be spilled near me!

Bottom line, it you think that you can pull it off, go for it. If you play in or around D.C., drop me an email and I'll try to make it out. I'm always up for some Latin Jazz......

Good Luck,

Zach
120decibels

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:44 am

Hi King...first I wouldn't recommend you just setting up your congas on sombodys gig,especially without asking first. The other thing is what I call the 5 DEEZ...Determination-Desire-Discepline-and Dedication = DESTINY!...I have lived this for the past 35 years of my professional musical career,spanning 7 international tours and over 40 countries. Hustle is a big part of it,hanging out in clubs,introducing yourself and handing out cards. If you get lucky enough to be in a "Number One" band you just might make yourself 5,000 a week if not more. I am speaking from personal experience. I know some musicians have made over 400,000 dollars in 4 months on the road. Of course the percentage of those musicians making that kind of money is like 1% or less. Even Lil Ceasar and Eminem are already millionares living in 10 million dollar homes and Lil Ceasar is only 13 years old. So the money is out there. You won';t make much in Latin Jazz. Unfortunetly it is at the bottem of the money pole, but the music is so beautiful and pure, that's why I still perform it and keep the "Tradition" Alive!. ....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:27 pm

I was in your situation a few years ago, King. I had been practising like mad but had never performed publicly on percussion. But a Latin-jazz group needed a bongo player, and they asked me because I was around. YOU HAVE TO JUMP AT ANY SORT OF CHANCE THAT COMES ALONG! I soon hopped onto the congas because the conga player left (although I got all the informal lessons and advice from him I could before he left).

In those days all I did was sit on a tight tumbou - my advice to you is get to know what rhythm (rhythms) you might require with them. By turning up and confidently playing a tight, grooving rhythm you can impress anyone. Best to keep things understated I think. Flourishes, soloing, etc, come later.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby KingKongas » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:45 am

Thanks to all of your replies. They are so right on point and a little scary because it's what I was looking for in a way. Each of you have some very valid points and I will incorporate them all. That said...

I decided to just check out the band tonite seeing that I wanted to show some respect for them. They play a latin jazz which is pretty laid back and smooth. My friend was the conga/bongo and misc. percussion player. He was steady and smooth but added a well timed flourish when the music needed it. I could definitely see myself in there. I met the leader and hopefully I'll be able to sit in a few rehearsals and whatnot and see where that takes me.

120 dec... I had posted somewhere previously that I had a percussion ensemble concert in Dec. in the DC area. That class has started again and we should have another concert soon. I'll keep you in mind. Please also let me know where you might be playing (if you are playing in a band, group, etc.) so that I could someday check you out. I'd also be interested in studying more so let me know if your teacher is taking new students, etc. By the way... the crowd tonite was VERY sparse due to the snow but I was as enthusiastic as I could be.

Thanks again to all of you. :D
KingKongas

Postby RayBoogie » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:49 am

Good luck to you King!! I still trying to get my feet wet in the Latin Jazz genre (you're so lucky :angry: ). I play in a r&b, rock, blues and funk band, which I really like, but Latin Jazz is my passion. The advice these guys gave you was so on and again GOOD LUCK!

Speaking of which, can any of you guys advise me how to get into the Latin Jazz genre. I live in New York and congueros are a dime a dozen here. What can I do to stand out!
RayBoogie

Postby muddy323 » Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:42 pm

KINGKONGA.....Try Neo Soul crews, who need that Latin feel and they are always looking for percussion player to make them sound different from the basic sound. I have twisted there sound with afro cuban latin licks. I can hear the latin sound in many forms of music. I have made it fit with any type of bands, other than country western lol. My advise is to play and sit in with many type of bands as possible...Then you will find that perfect crews, as i did. They are still in the garage mode, But! I see potential and think we are performance ready. We are waiting for the avenue.

Edited By muddy323 on Jan. 17 2003 at 21:45
muddy323

Postby KingKongas » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:16 pm

Ready or not!!! I performed at a Festival over the weekend (Sat and Sun) as a replacement for the regular conguero. I had a GREAT time! I knew that I had practiced enough to be able to handle the music but it's alot different playing outdoors and for a festival-type crowd in the open air and on-stage for all to see. For the first time I played standing up with 3 congas and bongos in front of the congas. I was able to move much freely to play all the skins and even found myself "dancing" along to the rhythm... something you cant easily do in a sitting playing position. The first piece was a Samba and that got the crowd going. We also played African 6/8, rumba, guaguanco and other rhythms. The music is charted but it allows for various solos which was a little scary for me but I thought I kept it simple to what I felt I was good at rather than go over my head and get lost or something. (Thanks to Tres Golpes here!!!) I know now that performing is where it's at and I hope to be able to play again and again and again....
KingKongas

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:23 pm

Hi, Congratulations on your performance. :D
RitmoBoricua

Postby TresGolpes » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:01 pm

...watching KingKongas the crowd explodes into an improvised chant:

Iba O Iba KingKongas
Ala Loye Moforibale

(Taken from the Opening yoruba chant to Elegua, customized for you since this Orisha opens the way for all the other Orishas to descend and bless your life and performances:

King, O KingKongas
I prostrate before you !!)

You will have them chanting very soon my friend...

Edited By TresGolpes on May 01 2003 at 00:07
TresGolpes

Postby RayBoogie » Thu May 01, 2003 2:17 am

Congratulation King! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. That's what its all about (having fun)!!! :D
RayBoogie

Return to Miscellanea