Percussion classes....

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby Emil » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:29 am

Just wanted a tip from xperienced percussionists.....

I've just started a percussion class in Italy (in Jannuary).
I'll be learning how to play Conga first and then Quinto for a year long....guess this is the normal learning process for percussions....

The following is the problem:
If...let's say... I were to take a master class in Cuba this summer, would it be worth?
or should I wait till i am mastering at least Quinto and Conga?

What do you think?
Cheers!
Emil
Emil

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:10 am

Hello Emil.......first learn to play one drum and rhythms on one drum.Also styles,rock beats,pop,r&b,etc. Then graduate to two drums. I don't know what you will be learning but I would ask what type of classes will they be and about what concerning how to play the conga. Wish you all the Best!..Bienvenuti Emil!........A su Servicio......JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:45 pm

As the other brother said playing Quinto involved a coordination of times and patterns with two other drums(Conga and Tumba),this cann't be accomplished without knowing the basic,and even after that is going to take years before understanding the approach to Quinto playing.

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 15 2003 at 14:47
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby rumbaman » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:11 pm

Congratulations on starting on the congas . Be patient and follow your teacher . I have been taking lessons for about 2 1/2 years . You will not feel comfortable until about the first year . Do not get discuraged its not easy ,and it takes practice but i assure you , you will love it when it starts coming together for you . Good luck

rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Return to Miscellanea