paulinho da costa, manolo badrena, marc quinones - artists

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby rhumbajo » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:22 am

As a jazz enthusiast, I have noticed these talented players time after time in the album credits. Wondered if there were any comments on these players??

FWIW - Spyro Gyra is one of my all time favorites, saw them 3x live, but they did not have a percussionist a the live gigs.

-r
As long as I have my family, my music, and popcorn... life is good. <c:
rhumbajo

Postby stlouieray » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:10 pm

Wow, that's unfortunate about Spyra Gyra. They have been a favorite of mine, but not as much, recently. I saw them in Rochester, NY, many years ago, at The Eastman Theatre. They were smokin'. They had a percussionist that night, and he was all over the place, in a great performance. Their guitar player, at the time (don't know if he's still with them), was Chet Catallo, or Catalano something like that; and Chet was raised in Rochester. So, he got off big time. Three of us were sittin a couple rows away from his Mom & Dad, who came to see the show.

Yea, Paulinho is a great percussionist. I've heard of the others, but I'm more familiar with Paulinho. He's probably got one of the largest collaborattion lists that you'll find, in working with numerous artists, over the years.

One longtime conguero that I really like his style is Ray Barreto. Ray started out as a true jazz drummer, when he began drumming, and then, turned to afro-cuban jazz, and as a percussionist. The stuff he does on his congas, with little jazz riffs and offbeats fxxks me up. Luv his style.

Ray :D
stlouieray

Postby rhumbajo » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:23 pm

stlouieray wrote:.....One longtime conguero that I really like his style is Ray Barreto. Ray started out as a true jazz drummer, when he began drumming, and then, turned to afro-cuban jazz, and as a percussionist. The stuff he does on his congas, with little jazz riffs and offbeats fxxks me up....

Thanks for the tip - if Ray Barreto is a session player, I may run across his name in album credits (I'll be sure to listen).

Re: Spyro Gyra - yes, their music has changed in the last few years. I prefer the '76 to '96 era. :cool: Long time fan.

-r
As long as I have my family, my music, and popcorn... life is good. <c:
rhumbajo

Postby Johnny Conga » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:55 pm

Ray Baretto was THEE session drummer on Blue Note records for years. He has recorded on no less than 500 albums and counting. Paulinho Da Costa is on about over 3,000 albums for he is the number one call for session work in Los Angeles and has been for over 25 years. He is also a personal friend of mine and the sweetest cat you could ever want to meet. His album "Agoura" (Now), is classic and on Pablo records, it highlights all of his percussive powers on all brasilian instruments and some fine conga soloing also.....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
Johnny Conga

Postby Raymond » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:13 pm

I am a Spyro Gyra fan too! Specially of their early work. Had all their alwasy from the first until Fast Forward. Have not keep up with them in the last decade but still a fan. They are coming to Puerto Rico's Heineken Jazz Festival in June and I am going to see them. (Last time I saw them was almost 20 years ago when they just released "Catching the Sun"). Yes, I noticed they do not have a percussionist like they used to...

Paulihno D'Costa, I am aware of his work with lot of pop artists. Manolo Badrena???? Yes, Spyro Gyra's Nu Songo is his (I think the album is Stories Without Words). I've seen him and he is pretty good. He was I think in only one album. He is now with Weather Report I think.

Marc Quinones???? He is my favorite percussionist. For those who do not know him he is an original "salsa" percussionist that moved into the jazz and rock percussion very succesfully. (Giovanni Hidalgo and Richie Flores are others). For those who do not know, he has his own timbale sticks, two models from Zildjian, and a new Pearl Signature timbale that just came out. That says a lot about a percussionist. Had the pleasure to meet the guy when he was here in Puerto Rico various months ago. (My picture with him was at the Pearl site for awhile)!

Marc was with Spyro Gyra for just one album, Fast Forward. Then he left to to to the Allman Brothers Band where he has been since I think 1990 or 1991. Marc has been in a lot of jazz and rock recordings. Despite his crossover, he continues to record salsa records and perform salsa gigs around New York. Always going back to his "roots" (and maybe for less pay...)

I guess Spyro Gyra had a hard time keeping percussionists because of the constant touring... They changed percussionists a lot and decided perhaps to go without it. (I have not seen them lately but they might have it as a "guest percussionist." Who knows).

Ray Barreto???? Like JC says. He is the "grandaddy" of percussionists still alive that did a lot of jazz recording with renowned jazz artist. Like Mongo Santamaria, he is one of the most influential congueros to the current generation of congueros..

Saludos
Raymond

Postby Raymond » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:35 pm

I think Paulihno and Luis Conte are the percussionists called the most in sessions in Los Angeles..and from all genres. I've seen Luis play trap drums with Phil Collins!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Johnny Conga » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:28 pm

Paolinho is first Call for session work in L.A. and is on about 3,000 to 4,000 albums over the past 25 years. He is a personal friend of mine and I replaced him with Sergio Mendes and Brasil 77,in 1976, But I definetly could not play the Brasilian stuff the way he did. Louis Conte, Ritchie Gajate Garcia, Lenny Castro.Kevin Ricard,and some others are the cats today doing the session work, in L.A. I taught Kevin in his early days a lot of stuff and he went on to play with some great artists, and he has become a "session" player. Louis is definetly not a "trap" set player. He may have just played on that one tune for Phil Collins. As far as Spyro Gyro is concerned I was not impressed with their percussionist, because he didn't play anything but tamborine and jumped all over the stage, which I don't consider playing. You have to wonder if he did something to that band for them never to use a percussionist again. Some cats can be outright egotistical because their in a "named" band. some cats get gigs just because they have a "friend" in the band, and that doesn't mean they can necessarily play either. Now you may question why they would hire that person. See nobody can really tell a percussionist what to play or how to play what they play , unless they themselves play. that has been my experience over my 35 years in the business. Unless you are given a chart to read the percussionist is on his own. Now the novelty of having a cat "jumping" all over the place is to me a "distraction" and does not "add" the musical function of the band. This is my opinion based on 35 years....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby Simon B » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:55 pm

Manolo Badrena? Yes, Spyro Gyra's Nu Songo is his (I think the album is Stories Without Words). I've seen him and he is pretty good. He was I think in only one album. He is now with Weather Report I think.

Badrena was with Weather Report for at least a short time a while ago too - he plays percussion on arguably their best album (or most well-known, perhaps), 'Heavy Weather'.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:22 pm

JC, what percussionist are you talking about?

Spyro Gyra's early stuff was very latin/calypso oriented and in the recordings you felt the percussionists. In their site Jay Beckenstein says that now they play their old stuff differently. (Maybe with another swing...) Maybe the drummer is doing the "percussion beats" like timbales, claves, etc, etc. No need for somebody who will not add anything else.

I read the Luis Conte "trap drumming" experience with Phil Collins in a Modern Drummer magazine interview...Good interview....
Raymond

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:57 pm

I think his last name was Velez. I can't remember his first name. Maybe Girardo is it. All i ever saw him do was jump around the stage literally while hitting a tamborine. Understand that even musicians like Spyro Gyro may not know what a "real" percussionist is like. And for some cats it's who you know and not what you know. Know what I mean?....For example the guy who backs up Eric Clapton can't play anything but tamborine, and very very little congas,if at all. But he's been there for years with Clapton. You would be surprised at how many cats came to study with me who could just barley play but were in a "named" band or backing a certain "star", and were making $2,000 a week just standing behind their instruments. ......JC JOHNNY CONGA....
Johnny Conga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:08 pm

Johnny Conga wrote:And for some cats it's who you know and not what you know. Know what I mean?....For example the guy who backs up Eric Clapton can't play anything but tamborine, and very very little congas,if at all. But he's been there for years with Clapton. You would be surprised at how many cats came to study with me who could just barley play but were in a "named" band or backing a certain "star", and were making $2,000 a week just standing behind their instruments. ......JC JOHNNY CONGA....

That statement is so true and it goes for almost every job/opportunity out there. Most of the time "It's who you know, No what you know"! ???
RitmoBoricua

Postby yoni » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:43 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:Most of the time "It's who you know, No what you know"! ???

Amen to that! That's one reason I say there are far more unknown greats than known ones.
yoni

Postby Simon B » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:02 pm

Bought Paulinho's 'Agora' this weekend. Lovely album - thanks for the recommendation JC. I love that trademark conga sound he has on the countless records he plays on: are they fibre-glass congas? They sound ever so dry, the quinto tuned high as well.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Tonio » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:01 am

Agora is a great album!! Paulinho used Gon Bops International
model. Back in teh old days he used the quinto 9 3/4" and tumba (I think the 12 3/4'). On the ablum, I wasn't too happy with the tone of the congas. Totally dry, and no resonance in the open tones. I can't say that I could done better, the album is great however.
Paulinho changed to larger drums later on. He's been on the most albums ever! i've studied his style since his tender ages with Sergio.

Manolo- he's my favorite crazy man. Check out his 1 and only album. He is the only one to bring in a cow. He started with Weather Report, then Spyro. Also check out Eyewitness, kinda fusion but cool nonetheless. He's got some chops, plus plays alot of misc stuff, but makes sense with it.Innovative

Ray is a learning staple, must have material.

T
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:09 am

RitmoBoricua wrote:
Johnny Conga wrote:And for some cats it's who you know and not what you know. Know what I mean?....For example the guy who backs up Eric Clapton can't play anything but tamborine, and very very little congas,if at all. But he's been there for years with Clapton. You would be surprised at how many cats came to study with me who could just barley play but were in a "named" band or backing a certain "star", and were making $2,000 a week just standing behind their instruments. ......JC JOHNNY CONGA....

That statement is so true and it goes for almost every job/opportunity out there. Most of the time "It's who you know, No what you know"! ???

No kinding, its sad though. The guys with Eric Clapton does have some nice Gon Bops.
T
Tonio

Return to Miscellanea