Measuring Gonga heads?

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby gaijin94 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:05 pm

I everyone IIm a mere beginner and am trying to find out as much as i can about congas. I bought a conga drum a lil while back and about to start practicing soon. but the head on my drum is severely cracked on the roll where it is adjusted for tuning. The drum is a Remo and the head that is broken is a Remo FiberSykn 3 Conga M4-F5 Head. I'm not real sure what this means. I can still sound out of the head but i was going to buy a new one ...... but I dont know what size this head is as i dont know how to measure it. Does anyone know about this kind of head and is it available or how to measure a head so i may be able to interchange the head with another brand.
Cheers all.
gaijin94

Postby tito » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:46 pm

hey what's up? well, measure the top of the skin not the bottom...in other words leave the head on the drum and measure. If you have a professional conga size drum the measurement should be 11 3/4 inches....that's the standard size...a tumba is 12-1/2 inches....what kind of drums do you have....oh and by the way remo fiberskyn heads tend to split easily, it has happened to me a few times....Tito ???
tito

Return to Miscellanea