Who is...... - Unknown percussionist

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:40 pm

Is anybody here familiar with the percussionist-Wendall Rivera?..I have been hearing his music on cable DMX and this brother "smokes" on congas. I have been trying to find his music and can';t find it anywhere. Any body help me out there?......JC JOHNNY CONGA...PS are you guys also familiar with Samuel Torres,from Bogota, this brother has the fastest hands I have ever seen since Giovanni...he is incredible.....
Johnny Conga

Postby tamboricua » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:26 pm

Hi JC,

Hope all is well! Wendell Rivera, I think is from Ponce, Puerto Rico but currently living somewhere in upstate New York. I believe he is related to the famous sonera Yolanda Rivera of Sonora Ponceña fame. Here is a link to Wendell's website:

http://www.wendellrivera.com

Where did you watch Samuel Torres playing?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1087244219
tamboricua

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:37 am

Vaya Jorge..I was just sent a video from a friend of mine, of the 2001 Thelonius Monk Hand Drumming Competition, which i didn't even know it exists , for the past 14 years. Samuel Torres is one of the competitors, but Pablo Martinez from (Los Munequitos) and lives in New York now , won the competition. Some of the judges were Ray Baretto-Giovanni-Milton Cardona-Big Black.....Samuel Torres flies, he REALLY flies..as they say today .."the brother got a lot of FLOW!".....JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :D
Johnny Conga

Postby Tonio » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:17 pm

Jorge, you know em all!!

T
Tonio

Postby akdom » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:12 am

Hi there.

I didn't know any of these guys.... d'lovve to hear them.
A few questions for you now.

Saperoko, Mucho mejor, does it ring a bell?
And how many Cachao do you know?

I have been looking for a band called saperoko, a band playing a song called mucho mejor and a double bass player called Cachao who's not the buena vista cachao...

Any help ?

Thank you.

Big B
akdom

Postby Raymond » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:03 pm

Akdom

Truco and Zaperoko is a plena/songo and salsa band of Puerto Rico. The band is the reunion of of two groups, Los Pleneros del Truco and Zaperoko. One played plena and the other one played a "progressive salsa" that involved the use of Cuban songo.

They were recently nominated for the Grammy as the best salsa recording. They have among their members Tito de Gracias, perhaps the best timbalero and all around percussionist here in Puerto Rico. Great sounding band! Saludos.
Raymond

Postby dvon » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:08 pm

JC, I´m curious about Samuel Torres, 'cause I live in Bogotá... I'll ask for any info on that guy... is there any chance you could send me the video? I´m interested for two reasons: first, just to take a glimpse at this guy, and second, I have never seen such a contest...

Thanks in advance!
dvon

Postby akdom » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:04 pm

Ray,

Thank you for the info! Great and very precise.... Do you recommend one specific recording? You have to admit they are great...

Big B
akdom

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:48 pm

Hi Dvon..I don't think he lives in Bogota anymore, he is touring with Arturo Sandoval....I only just heard about the competition and it's been around for 14 years....JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:49 pm

Dvon ..I think you can see Sammy at Congahead.com...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby dvon » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:25 pm

JC
Thanks for the info. Nonetheless I´ll be asking 'bout the guy.
dvon

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:58 am

Dvon ..the competition is shown on BET Jazz cable station, once every year......JC JOHNNY CONGA...a friend sent me the video from the cable show...but I don't have a way of making a copy at this time...
JohnnyConga

Postby dvon » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:54 pm

JC thanks for the info, once again... I´ll try to get it... I looked for it in Congahead, but I only found info on Samuel Torres... well he´s a musician from one of the more prestigious Music faculties here in Colombia... that´s all I could found out... the other thing I found out is that he has been playing with Arturo Sandoval and Ernesto Simpson, who I indirectly know because his brother, also from Cuba, lives here in Bogotá, and plays with a couple of Cuban groups...
dvon

Postby Miguelo » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:01 pm

Hi Guys! I am new here so be gentle :D Pedro Pablo Martinez is also on the Calle 54 DVD. He is the lead singer with Puntilla on the guapachanga type rumba that they do with Patato. Him and Puntilla have a Group called Nueva Generacion. Pedro can be seen on several clips in the Congahead page and can often be seen live in the #1 Rumba venue around NYC, a place called La Esquina Habanera in Union City, NJ. IMO the guy is very talented.
Miguelo
Miguelo

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:57 pm

Pedro is the one that Won the compettion in NY for the Best percussionist at the BETon Jazz percussion workshop. I have him on video with Los Munequitos in NY.. he is a good player...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Next

Return to Miscellanea