doing more with less! Best 2 drum conga players? - Opinions on the best 2 conga players?

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby ssk » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:10 pm

Hey guys/gals. I'm new the board but a long time player(mostly funk,rock and latin jazz). I have a great appreciation for tradition. My discussion topic is doing more with less. Who are some of your favorite percussionist who normally use a 2 conga set up. Don't be limited to any particular style of music.
I'll start it off with 3 of my favorites:
1)Jose Madera(Tito's longtime conguero).
2)"Master"Henry Gibson(of Curtis Mayfield)
3)Nana Vasconcelos(multipercussionist with taste)-I've seen once using a single conga!
peace,
Steve"skins"Kornicks
Steve"skins"Kornicks
ssk

Postby zaragemca » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:00 pm

It all would depend on what kind of music it is played,for example is somebody is going to bang the basic 'tumbao' in and R&B band,or a just a basic 'Tumbao' in a Salsa Band,there is not need for anything else(like when I'm playing with DJ's I only use two congas and the timbales),but if you trying to put together a multi-Guaguanco,Mozambique,or multi-Yoruba's riff, then you are talking about a different dimension,also I need to point out that the quinto was incorporated to the Tumba and Conga some time ago,to facilitate the slap with one hand,or double slap.Gerry Zaragemca.

Edited By zaragemca on 1100019750
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Return to Miscellanea