Cachao - Cuba Linda - Yényere Guma

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby dvon » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:31 pm

Just bought this CD! I'm loving it.
Cuba Linda is a beautiful song. The same for Yényere Guma.

By the way, can any one tell me what Yényere Guma is? A god or something like that? I searched for that in the web and only pages with information on the cd appeared.

Thanks!
dvon

Postby dvon » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:36 pm

I forgot: I would like to buy CDs with folkloric Cuban music. Some Rumba- Columbia- Abakua, etc.etc. Any 6/8 rhythms. I like that in the Cuba Linda CD, and in another excellent CD I bought with this one: CUBA L.A Dos. Has anyone heard of these? Couldn't hear number 1? Is it good? Suggestions for similar CDs?

I remember in an old post that Los Muñequitos is one of the groups for Guaguancó, but for the other rhythms?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks
dvon

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:07 am

I remember in an old post that Los Muñequitos is one of the groups for Guaguancó, but for the other rhythms?

Celeste Mendoza
Los Papines
Ignacio Piñeiro
Florencio Calle
Carlos Embales y Conjunto de Guaguanco
Luis Valdes
Gonzalo Asencio
Humberto Pluma
Amado Deddeu
Conjunto de Clave y Guaguanco
Saldiguera y Virulilla
Calixto Callava
Roncos Chiquitos
Iluyenkori
Alfredo Rodriguez recording titled "Cuba Linda"
Grupo Matanzas AfroCuba

I could go on and on, there's lots out there. That small list should give you somewhere to start...
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby dvon » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:21 pm

Thanks Abakua,

As you say, there's a lot out there, so I'll have to take some time, given my budget and availability right here in Colombia.

You list many groups/composers, but you don't give any rhythmic description about them, or your personal taste for them. That is, I don't know the majority of them, so I would appreciate any specific recommendations (albums/cds, for example).

On the other hand, the rhythmic description could help also: a year ago I bought a recopilatory cd of Ignacio Piñeiro's Septeto Nacional (some thing like their music from 1928-1940) and that's definitely what I'm not looking for. I might be wrong, but it was all SON. I'm looking for rumba, columbia, guaguancó, abakua, comparsa.

Anyway, thanks for your advice. I would really appreciate if you, or others, can give me a more precise list.
dvon

Postby Tonio » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:49 pm

Tonio

Return to Miscellanea