Lug Lube? - How to use lug lube

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby in2n » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:31 am

Just bought my first conga (a Toca traditional, 11.75"), and I read every now and then about "lug lube".

1) Is this stuff necessary?
2) What is it, specifically? Can I just use petroleum jelly or auto grease?
3) How do you put it on: between the nut and the washer or all over the threads of the tuning rod?

Thanks in advance.
in2n

Postby Raymond » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:12 pm

I personally like WD40. Less messy and you could wipe it out easier. I spray the tuning lugs and washers and wipe them out.

The tuning lube if I use it and take the tuning lug and apply it without leaving excess (that way it does not get into your clothes, etc).

Ocassionally, is recommended you lubricate the tuning lugs to avoid problems while tuning and to have them last longer. (Especially if you like to put additional washers).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby +pablo+ » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:51 am

Lubricant is used for reducing the coefficient of friction as well as providing a protective layer. For lugs, the main benefit is to prevent galling between the plating on the mating threads and on the mating surfaces of the nut/washer. If this happens, the plating flakes and ‘gums’ things up, resulting in a higher torque to turn the nut. Also with the plating gone, corrosion starts.

With a properly lubricated assembly, less torque (force) is required to get the desired preload (easier on the congero), and less wear and tear occurs on the mating parts (happier drum). I prefer white lithium grease like that used by bicycle shops because it doesn’t run and doesn’t smell like petrol. Vaseline is not an acceptable lube for threaded assemblies. Auot grease is o.k., but smells.

Put a decent dab inside the nut on the washer side. That way when you tighten the nut up the grease is carried through the length of the threads inside the nut. Also smear a little on the faying surfaces of the nut and washer; not too much only a little is needed. Wipe off any excess so you don’t get any on your 501’s. Hope this answers your questions, +pablo+
+pablo+
+pablo+

Postby Supa Coopa » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:16 pm

I suggest using Napa Sili-Gel. One 4 oz. tube will last you a lifetime. It's clear, doesn't smell and all you do is take off the nut and washer and stick the tubes opening onto the lug thread (the hole is just the right size). Only put about a 1/2" on it. It won't run either :)
Supa Coopa

Postby shortstuf2890 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:52 pm

http://www.trialclix.com/index.asp?refID=87840-sign up- it has an ebay offer- no credit card number needed it sign up
shortstuf2890

Postby SC Drums » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:49 pm

I have been using the Lug Lube that came with my LP Conga. Is this lube a good lube to use? Thanks.

Steven
SC Drums

Postby Isaac » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:00 am

Lug lube works fine . . . .
if you don't mind people thinking
you've pooped in your your pants!
(in the voice of Triumph, the insult comic dog) : )

It won't come out
in the wash, and I've ruined some clothes in the past.

I now use DW-40,
and also had good results with a clear trombone valve oil.
You should still wipe of any excess
so it doesn't drip. I only do it about twice
a year, and this has worked for me
well for over 20 years.
When changing a conga head, its the best time to really clean and lubricate the lugs thouroughly, even soak
them for a few minutes while all are off
the drum.

ISAAC
Isaac

Postby SC Drums » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:30 am

Isaac,

Thanks for the info. I have used the Lug Lube on my drums when I first got them. Was careful and did not wreck any clothes.

~Steven
SC Drums

Return to Miscellanea