Hand Lotion on conga heads?????? - Help!

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby JerryA » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:23 am

I was reading in a post called "manteca" that someone put hand lotion on their heads and the sound became dull. Well I have a conga set (groove percussion fiberglass) that is less quality than aspires that I bought once because I didn't know any better. Well when I searched online to find out how to tune the drums I found advice on the TOCA website on tuning and maintaining the congas. For a better tone they recommended using hand lotion (with lanolin). Sure enough there I go to the store to buy hand lotion and rubbed a small amount on the heads. Ever since then the heads had a dull and I mean DULL sound. I just thought I had overstretched them, and since I couldn't find a head replacement I just went and bought a new set of congas.

Well if it was the lotion that killed my heads, is there any way to revive them??? They're so dull that I can't even sell them. $160 down the drain.
JerryA

Postby Berimbau » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:32 am

Dear Jerry,
I would recommend placing the drums upside down in a bathtub with two or three inches of water and soaking the heads for a few hours. Next turn them upright and scrub them with a mild grease-cutting detergent such as windex. Then turn them upside again and throw two cups of water inside each of the drums and let that soak for 30 minutes. Dump that water out and let them dry for three days. Say a Hail Mary, pour a rum libation to the Orishas, and then list those puupies on E-Bay!!

Boa Sorte,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby JerryA » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:26 am

Thanks, I'll try that out.
JerryA

Postby otto » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:15 pm

Hello JerryA

You might want to try some manteca (lard)
Loosen the skins until they are really loose take a damp cloth and clean as much of the lotion you can. this should be done on a warm sunny day (85 or better) Take some manteca put some on your fingers and rub it into the skins in a circular motion working from the indside out. Leave the drums out in the hot sun for 4 to 6 hours. After take a dry cloth and clean the skins get all the excess manteca off the skins. not tighten and tune the skins. you should notice a difference. You can also use a lamp if you have to but monitor it closely so you don't burn the skins. I have tried this and it worked. Thanks to Johnny Conga how gave me the advise.

Otto
otto

Postby Ivan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:47 pm

Jerry,

If you ever feel the need to moisturize your drum skins again; use palm oil instead... I am not sure where you are located, but if you know of any realy hard core percussionists - one of them is bound to have some... Worse case scenario cocoa butter (the kind that comes in a stick) would work fine... Just remember to use it cautiously... Too much moisture is worse than not enough...

Oh, if you ever get a hold of some palm oil that stuff is really oily so very very very little is required for one head.

Here are some results that came up on good ol' google:
Google Search for Palm Oil

Later,
Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby JerryA » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:38 am

Thanks for all your replies. I tried what berimbau suggested and it got out the lotion. But the head still sounded lousy. The shells are thin fiberglass and out of round so I don't think anything will make them sound good.

As far as manteca, I think I'll try it one day on my LP performer series congas. Not so happy with their sound either.

Thanks again.
JerryA

Postby conga KID » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:16 am

hmm interesting post...when i first bought my congas i rubbed hand creme into them as it told me to do in the care manual,now ive heard other toca congas the same as mine and thought they sounded better but i figured it was the hand technique i was using..i maybe wrong it could be the fact that i rubbed that #### hand creme ito the heads.keep up the good work my friends...this site is great and all your technical help and stories really makes me appreciate my practice of this wonderful art...PEACE
PERCUSSION...A WAY OF LIFE!!
conga KID

Postby otto » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:01 pm

Hello JerryA

I tried the manteca on my LP Perfomer series, I too was not too happy with the sound. The manteca made a big difference.
I applied the lard and left the drums out in the sun for about 6 hours and then tuned them. The sound was much better. During the summer I leave the drums out in the sun for a while, I don't even need to add the manteca just loosen the skins and then retune.
Good Luck
Otto
otto

Postby JerryA » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:32 pm

Thanks Otto, I'll have to try it out. If there's something we have plenty of here in so. cal. its plenty of sun :cool:
JerryA

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:37 am

SEARCH RESULTS: (click here)

Also CLICK HERE for previous discussion..

Cheers.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby rumbaman » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:01 pm

Hy jerry i was the one who had the bad experience with the hand lotion . It just messed my heads up . I had to get rid of them they sounded like rubber . Just wear them in by playing often on them thats the best advice i can give you . Be carefull what you read on the net from experience .

rumbaman
rumbaman

Return to Miscellanea