Crooked Rim

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby JerryA » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:40 am

I saw in a t.v. music special, the conga player for the Cuban All Stars was playing with what looked like a very crooked rim. I thought it was the camera angle. But I just saw a conga for sale and the rim on it looks relly crooked too (image attached). Do some players play with totally crooked rims?? Why would that be? Wouldn't that damage the rim, head, and shells?

Edited By JerryA on 1120981325

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... rooked.jpg
JerryA

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:39 am

That rim does not appear to be crooked, but rather on an uneven angle downwards due to uneven tensioning of the rods. If you tighten them uneven you will find the rim comes down lower on one point of the drum. This will cause premature wearing out of the skin and of course uneven pressure on the drum causing unnecessary stress on the barrel.

With lower strength metals used for rims or very very old rims, you can find warping of the metal ring.

As for why this would be with the conguero for afro cuban allstars, remember where they come from, fresh rings etc are not that easy to come by in Cuba these days. Having said that though, I doubt this would be the case with this particular conguero.

Another possibility is that they were not his drums, I know when I have been on the road, on tour, I have had to use drums supplied by production and at times they have not been in the best of conditions.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:54 am

Basically it boils down to "improper care" and uneven tuning...in my humble opinion....."JC" Johnny conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:28 pm

Greeting,this is a careless way to treat an instrument,it even have marks of objects being placed on top of the skin.Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1121106528
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:45 am

zaragemca wrote:Greeting,this is a careless way to treat an instrument,it even have marks of objects being placed on top of the skin.Dr. Zaragemca

Sad, isnt it. :(
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby franc » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:26 am

saludos,
that is what i call poor and inproper care.. knowing that in some cases it does happened to the shell, but uneven tunung to the rim and poor care to the skin!! never!!! i will take the courage to say that the feeling for the conga is the same , very poor indeed!!! not to say his playing, that could tells you a lot.!!! am i wrong, guys????? áche :(
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby mco » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:18 am

Hey, isn't that the same drum with the same bent rim that Candido is playing on the cover of his LP "Candido the Volcanic"?!
(see Johnny Conga's post with attached image: CongaBoard » General Forums » Open Discussion » Congas in a swing jazz 'big band'? (page1))
mco

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:32 pm

mco wrote:Hey, isn't that the same drum with the same bent rim that Candido is playing on the cover of his LP "Candido the Volcanic"?!
(see Johnny Conga's post with attached image: CongaBoard » General Forums » Open Discussion » Congas in a swing jazz 'big band'? (page1))

Nothing like it brother!
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:15 pm

The drum above is a TOCA conga...the one that Candido is playing is a Cuban conga fromt he 40-50's...before TOCA was even a thought...."JC" Johnny Conga.....
JohnnyConga

Postby mco » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:26 pm

I am of course just kidding around.
I should have put smiley faces after my post :) :) :) .
mco
mco

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:14 pm

Sorry , we do have some young people in the house, and I'm now what they call a "Senior Citizen" hahahahahahahahahahaha....with benefits to boot .hahahahahahaha..."JC" Johnny Conga...... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 5B1_5D.jpg
JohnnyConga

Return to Miscellanea