Sound proofing - egg boxes??

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby Charangaman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:32 pm

Greetings gentlemen of the drum..

I have a little room, my inner sanctum where I keep all my music related stuff.. Conga's/bongo/guiro's etc.. Plus I have turntables and stacks of records/cd's

And in here I like to make BIG SOUNDS - I have had no complaints from neighbours but I would like to proof the room from outside noise and dampen my own a little so I can hammer away at all hours without upsetting the natives..

I am collecting egg boxes but anyone with other cheap solutions please reveal them to me.. Kind thanks brothers.
Charangaman

Postby caballoballo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:51 pm

Charanga,

Use old bed sheets and newspapers,just laid the sheet on the floor and put layers of newspapers( at least 4 pages or more) on top. Make squares about 20" by 20" or bigger depending on the size of the newspaper pages,then put another sheet on top and sew them together,Is goint to look like a quilt but with bigger squares separating the individuals layer of newspapers. I hope you understand the idea. This was the way they did it at the percussion classroom at the school of arts. Arre Caballo
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Charangaman » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:00 pm

Gracias comp'a..

On further research it seems this sound proofing business is very complex!..

I will do what I can..
Charangaman

Postby onile » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:37 pm

Alafia Charangaman!
¿Cómo esta mi pana?

You know, a friend of mine who is a band leader and records in his garage (which he converted into a studio), has done a wonderful job of "sound proofing it". What he used was berber carpet on the floor (this can prove expensive I know), but on the walls he used some of those blankets that a moving company uses, they look quilted. It looks like he used some office supplies to hold them up. What I'm referring to are some clips which are used to bind paper together, not paper clips mind you, but "binder clips". I don't know if you can find a moving company near you that you could purchase/get these blankets from, or maybe you can improvise as brother Caballoballo suggested! Be creative mi pana!

Suave!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Charangaman » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:40 pm

onile,

Kind thanks for your insight...

I am going to panel the ceiling with cork tiles to block out the thumps from the kids upstairs.. Then I'll construct somesort of D.I.Y bass trap which apparently will dissipate my low end frequencies and not interfere with harmonics...

It's all mumbo jumbo to me..
Charangaman

Postby onile » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:43 pm

I know what you mean!:) :p :D :laugh:
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Bataboom » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:28 am

we did some sound profing at church. they sell a foam matress egg carton type foam you lay over your bed matress for added cussion. this works great for killing sound wavs. Get you a few rolls of that and staple it to the walls will work wonders ! Just dont catch it on fire and try to yell for help cause then no one will hear you hahahah!
Bataboom

Return to Miscellanea