glue - conga stave

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby franc » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:42 am

to all my friends out there,
need to know the actual name of the ''wood glue'' that congas manufactures use to glue the stave on congas. our band conguerro need the glue to fix a stave on his congas that came loose . mucho blessing and my best!! ??? ???
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby pcastag » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:44 am

You can use regular elmers wood glue. A lot of people like to use gorilla glue, this is the glue that expands out the joints.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby franc » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:55 am

my friend, pcastag,
what to you mean by ''expand out the joints'' do you mean itfills and tightens the staves??? :^/ sorry don't know much of glues. gracias!!! franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby pcastag » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:39 am

Yeah, you have to tighten down the staves so they're together, you can use those cloth wenches they sell at home depot that people use to tie down luggage and stuff. The gorilla glue will epand , so that it fills any gaps between the staves. You want to lay the glue from the inside, that way the expansion will happen to the inside of the drum, and you won't have any glue leakage to the outside.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby franc » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:13 pm

pcastag,
mucho saludos!! my friend conguerro ''miguel'' used the gorilla type glue as you suggested. it sure worked very well. he used three pieces of nylon type rope to tighten the stave after applying the glue. he tighten the rope around the conga using the tourniquet method. renforcing the middle rope, so it wouldn't slip down by adding small pieces of rope vertically to the top and bottom rope. he let dry for four days after removing the excess glue. kind of an inexpensive way to repair loosen stave, don't you think??? mucho ache, franc :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby pcastag » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:20 am

cool!! Glad to hear that it worked!
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby rumbaman » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:27 pm

Hey guys how you all doing' . The gorilla glue is messy if youare not carefull but very strong . How are the acoustics .
Did it work and how good was your cleanup of the glue .

good luck rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:06 pm

Actually the staves are put together with a "mixture" of wood glue and "horse" glue, which is much denser, and "fuses" with the wood glue....at least that is what I was taught, ol skool stuff ya know... :D ..."JC" Johnny Conga.....
JohnnyConga

Return to Miscellanea