Tuning

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby fstop » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:25 pm

I've been learning on a Tumba for a year or so now and recently added a conga and quinto to my set so I've never had to tune three drums.

I know there are no exect rules for tuning congas but I am having a hard time getting the three in tune with each other.

When I get a decent tone out of one or two, the third drum either has a large mettalic ring to it, or if I tune it down it sounds almost the exact pitch as on of the other drums.

Is there any basic reference I could use or a simple way to get them in tune?

Thanks
fstop

Postby akdom » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:44 pm

Hi

Everyone has his tricks and preferences

To make it easy, start with your quinto and tune it until you reach the sound you like.

Then tune the conga in order to make a nice guaguanco by playing tones on conga and quinto.
This hight difference is what congueros know the best and this is what I use when I do not need to be tuned according to another instrument.

Then give a shorter span between your conga and your tumba. MEaning that if you play a guaguanco with these two drums, the span of the sounds should be shorter than if played on quinto and congas.

Once again, this is quite unprecise, but it works.

Many others will post their preferences.

B
akdom

Postby fstop » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:01 pm

Thanks for the help.

I just want to clarify.

So I should start with the quinto. From there get the quinto and conga in tune, and then tune the tumba in between the two?

The tumba would have a pitch a step between the conga and quinto?

Thanks again.
fstop

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:00 am

There IS an understood tuning for 2 congas G and C..C for the high drum and G for the low drum.....Patato Valdes tuned his 4 congas to G Bflat C E....."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... tato_2.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby akdom » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:16 am

hi

no, the quinto has the higher pitch, then the conga and then the tumba.

What Johnny told you is right too and much more accurate.

Now, it is up to you to pick your tunning. Some people tune "quite low", like Mongo did, others, like Giovanni Hidalgo tune "very high".

Let us know what you find comfortable for you.

Make a search for "tunning", there are plenty of posts about that.

B
akdom

Postby fstop » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:07 pm

Thank you both for your advice.

It's not totally there yet but I am getting a much better tune or sound out of all three drums now in tandem. The tumba still sounds a little different than the others, not necessarily out of tune, but it really seems to carry a long open tone comparred to the other two, it's not really mettalic, but the duration of the open tone resonates for a while compared to the other two. If that makes any sense?

Seems like something I will get better at as I play more and learn which pitches I like best.

I am relatively new to congas. I always found them interesting but never thought I could play. I won one in a contest, learning to play on that one got me really interested. Now I have a decent set of three with bongos and I am totally addicted to playing and learning each day.

It's nice to have these forums and the support of experienced conga players.

As well I knew little of these amazing conga players everone is referring to, so I am learning a whole new world of artists and music to inspire me.

-Tom
fstop

Postby solo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:36 am

halo everyone!

I want ask some question. can I just use some spesific interval for tunning my conga? I mean like this: Patato tune his conga to G Bflat C E. can I tune my conga from any note, but I still use patato's Interval?

thanks my friends. wait for your advices!
solo

Postby rumbaman » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:44 pm

Hey how are all of you guys doing today ,great i hope . The right tone is hard at first if you do not have an instructor because you really do not know what they the drums should sound like. I like jc's method . The sound should ressonate on the open tone on all three drums . The quinto the highest , the conga the middle, and the tumba the lowest. All of them resonating when you hit them openly .Hope that helps .

rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Postby akdom » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:36 pm

Hi Solo

You can use this intervall and start tuning higher or lower.

You can change the interval.

Actually, it is you call, there are no specific rules for tuning. Just common sense and creativity.

Enjoy.
akdom

Return to Miscellanea