micing up percussion with a dj

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby jcg » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:51 pm

Hello,

hope someone can give me some useful advice from their experience. Just wanted to know how percussionists mic up their various percussion when playing with a dj. I use three mics going into a yamaha mixer I pan the mics to the left channel and then take the main left output and jack it into the mic XLR input on the djs mixer. It works at home, but I'm not having much luck at clubs, I'm getting alot of feedback, at times It's just not worked at all. Can anyone advise me if what I'm doing in principle is correct but just need to adjust settings and placement of mics. Or if anyone can tell me how they manage in a Club when micing up with a DJ using multiple mics... Cheers JC.G
jcg

Postby Diceman » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:33 pm

Where are the speakers in relation to your mics??

I use Sennheiser E604 clip ons through a Beringer mini mixer, they do the trick, no problemo.
Diceman

Postby jcg » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:48 pm

Well put it this way they weren't immediatly near to the mics. So do you plug the output of your mixer into the djs mic input on the djs mixer?
jcg

Postby Diceman » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:01 pm

Without seeing the setup, I would guess that you need to go straight through the dj mixer or straight into the input of the amp. There are more PA savvy forum members who may be able to pick up on this.
E604s are for close micing and specially for drums, so they work well and can be cranked up with little feedback.
Another trick is to get speakers well away from you and plug headphones into your mixer.
As I say I dont know your set up, but my two congas worth.

Diceman
Diceman

Postby Thomas » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:21 pm

Hi!
Are you using condenser mics, jc.g?
Would be good to try some dynamic mics first, like diceman mentioned, put em as close as possible to the head of the drums (2-3 inches away) and try to stay away from the surrounding speakers (I know its hard in clubs, allways very noisy). What kinda instruments do you have to mic up exactly. Do u have to use overheads?
Do u use a noisegate for the congas (if u play one)?
All the best, Tom!
Thomas

Postby jcg » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:03 pm

Hey,

first of all thanks for the advice guys. I'm micing two congas and a set of bongos. I'm using SM57 mics one mic for each conga, one for the bongos.
I'm not using a noisegate for the congas, do you think it would be a worthy purchase? Do any of you guys play in clubs along side djs? I would be interested to know how you mic up in this situation..
jcg

Return to Miscellanea