Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Workshop update

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby davidpenalosa » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:31 pm

Hello Afro-Cuban Enthusiasts,

The Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Workshops, July 21 – 28, 2007 at Humboldt State University in Arcata, California is still accepting registrations. This year promises to be one of the best yet. Students from Bolivia, New York, New Jersey, British Columbia, Ohio, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Texas, Colorado, Arkansas, Arizona, Maryland, Washington, Oregon, and California will all be coming together to study with our internationally recognized faculty. Now in our 11th year, we are proud of the reputation we have both in the United States, and in Cuba, as the most comprehensive Afro-Cuban dance and drum program in the U.S. We offer 3 levels of dance and 5 levels of drum classes as well as daily song classes, focusing on the folkloric repertoire of the Yoruba, Bantú, Arara, Carabali, and Haitiano styles of music and dance. Some highlights of our workshop are 1) having master drum and dance teachers from the 3 main centers of Cuba: Havana, Matanzas, and Santiago. We have 3 strands of dance classes, one entirely dedicated to the styles from Santiago, lead by dancer Silfredo La O and drummer Rogelio Kindelan from folkloric group Ban Rra Rra, one entirely dedicated to the Matanzas repertoire lead by dancer Reynaldo Gonzalez and drummer Sandy Pérez, from Grupo Afro-Cuba de Matanzas, with Sonyalsi Feldman from Matanzas singing, and one entirely dedicated to Havana styles lead by dancer Susana Arenas (originally in Raices Profunda, but has danced with many groups as well as her own), and legendary drummer Francisco Aguabella, who started his career in the U.S. accompanying dance, something he only does now at our workshop, and who Susana Arenas says is fantastic at following her on the dance floor; 2) Our U.S. drum teachers offer their unique perspective of learning as a foreigner. They were once like us, trying to unlock the code to the beautiful drum systems of Cuba. They balance the rote approach of our Cuban drum faculty. 3) Our evening rumba/salsa parties, where faculty and students come together and inspire each other. This is just a part of what for most is an unforgettable experience in one of the most beautiful settings on the planet. Please check out our website http://www.humboldt.edu/afrocuban for more information.

Thank you,

Howie Kaufman
Founder and Coordinator of the
Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Program
Humboldt State University, Arcata CA
davidpenalosa

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:50 am

I am starting something NEW...what I will call "Conga Camp/Intensive".....for those that would like to come to MY home(in Seattle,WA-USA) and study with me for a week at a time, 5 days a week up to 6 hours a day ....my home would be open for you, everything provided(food,etc.)...my wife cooks really good... .I will teach you as much as I can ...and that comes from my 41 years of experience as a player/performer....my cirriculum is Afro-Caribbean Drumming and Music, plus "styles" of drumming in many forms...How to read, count, rhythmic theory, the Clave, the "Cuban" method as taught in La Escuela Del Artes-Pinar del Rio, street rumba(NY style),etc.. plus bongos and timbales and hand perc. and more....If this is something you would be interested in doing, please email me privetly at [email]johnnyconga@hotmail.com.....Let[/email]'s Do It!.... :D .. "JC" Johnny

Edited By JohnnyConga on 1183953662

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... _photo.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby davidpenalosa » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:53 am

Last night the Annual Afro-Cuban Drum and Dance workshop in Arcata, California had the final student and faculty performances and a great after show party. When I came home, the sun rose. Too much fun! I very much enjoyed seeing so many folks from the congaboard in person and having an opportunity to make music together, instead of just talking about it in cyber space. Looking forward to seeing you again next year!
-David
davidpenalosa

Return to Miscellanea