how to adjust my set to different keys - playing in band

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby cuartuno » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:55 pm

how do you guys playing in a band handle the problem of beeing confronted with different keys in songs? so far i tuned my conga to "c" and tumba to "g".if i play now to songs in "e minor" it simply sounds out of tune...listening to recordings,i realize that the set is always 1a tuned to every song...but live?
cuartuno

Postby zwar » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:06 am

ho cuartuno

you are right, for e minor c and g as open tones are dissonant with tonica and V . in tune with IV .
only thing you can do, is trying to figure out, what you are going to play, and tune your drums for most or all the songs.
with a 3set you could put 2.conga/quinto to d.
but anyway there are not many congueros bothering about being in tune with the rest of the band...

greetings

zwar
zwar

Postby Raymond » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:04 pm

Yep...I ditto what Zwar said. No percussionist that I know bothers with "keys". The tuning in regards to personal preference, and/or style of music, is what they are concern. (Example" high tuning, low tuning. High tuning gives more volume and for effects or type of song a high tuning conga will project more. However, in "salsa" music is mid or low tuning is preferred to provide a "more in the pocket" "bass like" sound, etc, etc).

If somebody in your band brings "keys" to you...they are getting too technical for me! (Tuning and sound is very personal and also related to the style of the band...that is what you should be concern in regards to tuning a percussion instrument. My opinion)!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby zaragenca » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:30 pm

Thanks Raymond,I have to point out that after the Tumbadora was set up as a percussion instrument in the conjuntos and orquestras,and jazz/bands, first it was set up to be conditioned with fire,and later with the Lug Tuning System,but I have never heard any of my ancestors of percussionists in any group talking about in what key you are going to play the Tumbadoras.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Return to Miscellanea