building my own congas - help!

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby jmdriscoll » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:42 pm

For right now though, I am going to start building instruments that I KNOW I can build, and move on from there.. Here is a project that I am going to be finishing up this weekend... It is a spin-off of the drums I saw recently at www.valterpercussion.com ....I think that I am going to start building a variety of cajons and start selling. I built one in the past, and it turned out very nice with some nice tonal qualities.. Here is my rendition of quinto, conga and tumba cajons. they are not done yet, but I expect that they will be finished by this weekend. This Tumba as you can see, is ready for final details, sanding and finishing... it's gonna look SWEET when done!!

Edited By jmdriscoll on 1200505685

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... IM0179.jpg
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

"Music and rhythm find their way into secret places of the soul"
jmdriscoll

Postby jmdriscoll » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:46 pm

If these turn out sounding well, then I am going to start marketing and selling them.. along with other forms of cajons as well. This set has 8 sides. I am thinking that I might make the next set with 16 sides, but we'll see....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... IM0187.jpg
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

jmdriscoll

Postby jmdriscoll » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:53 pm

By the way... each joint has four #10 biscuits in it... These are going to be VERY STRONG and solid bodies.

jmdriscoll

Postby congalou » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:04 pm

Hello Mike,

I don't understand all the messages but I understand photos, nice conga-cajon !

For the conga stave, be careful about the external ply, if it's too thin, we will see the internal ply after turning finish. I think the bending tool is good. I think it could make very durable drum.

G.
congalou

Postby jmdriscoll » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:09 pm

Hey congalou, thanks for the encouraging words. With my real congas, I will use strips of solid oak or other hardwood and laminate myself... no filler material between layers like traditional plywood. :)

jmdriscoll

Postby congalou » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:28 pm

Do you know what kind of glue you will use for glueing the staves ?

I usually use normal white glue for wood working but for 3 ply staves, hardest glue could be better because the bending : maybe bi-component for example.

Does anybody has idea ?

GL.
congalou

Postby akdom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:05 pm

hi guys

I haven't read the whole topic, but follow this link (might have been posted already) scroll down a bit.

http://zunzunmagv4.blog.mongenie.com/

B

PS, Galou, je n'oublie pas ton cheque ;)
akdom

Postby jmdriscoll » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:58 pm

congalou.. I used to be a faithful follower of gorillia glue, but somebody on this forum had pointed out a test where gorillia glue did less that favorable as compared to other glues. I am back to using old faithful yellow Titebond. I imagine that a white woodworkers glue is equivelent. I don't see why it wouldn't work for laminating. Once dry, it is stronger than the wood itself.

Akdom... man, thanks for pointing that video out on zun's site!! I am now starting to re-question whether to cut my staves or bend and laminate them. He wastes so much wood cutting them like that though.. but then again... "wood price -vs- personal labor time" "which costs more?" Thanks for the vid.

jmdriscoll

Postby congalou » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Oh, nice Video, B !!! :D

I never use gorillia glue and I have heard that Titebond glue is stronger than normal white glue (I usualy use sader, it does the job when the wood is well dry). Titebond will do the job for laminating, no problems. Do you think you will have to wet the 3 ply with water to curve it ? I think it's better if you don't need.

GL.
congalou

Postby jmdriscoll » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:02 am

lou, I have a book on woodbending that I haven't fully engulfed myself in yet. I'll have to look and see what kind of glue they recommend for laminating. I don't think that you need to wet the wood unless your steam bending. Being that I plan on using thin strips that are to be laminated before going into the form, I think that it will be done dry. One thing good about plain wood glue vs polyurethane glues is that you are allowed ample open time before the glue starts to set.

jmdriscoll

Postby congalou » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Hello, here is a photo of the first conga I made with the OAK staves of a old wine barrel. That's my favorite !!! :D

I used the natural curve of the barrel. It's smell good "BORDEAUX" wine inside :p

And I don't use varnish !!! I used Beeswax.

3 years old (3 summer and 3 winter...) and the glueing is perfect !!! The wood was very very dry when i made it.

I'm shure that the children of my children will learn congas (if they want) with this drum !!!

GL.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... conga.jpeg
congalou

Postby akdom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi all

I build drums from barrels too and they sometimes are very old, and I always used regular white carpenter glue. It works like a charm...

I gues that for stronger result, some basic contact cement can work too. But if carpenters still use white glue, I guess there is a reason for that.

B
akdom

Postby jmdriscoll » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Wow, that drum looks great! Great idea too.

jmdriscoll

Postby jmdriscoll » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:51 pm

almost done... The tumba on the right is ready for paint and poly... the conga and quinto are ready for final sanding. I'm thinking a dark cherry/chocolate red for the body, and straight poly on the heads..

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... IM0189.jpg

jmdriscoll

Postby congalou » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:40 am

It look great !!! :D
congalou

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellanea