Percussion in Trinidad - any insight?

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby Joseph » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:53 pm

I’ll be going to Trinidad in a couple of weeks…actually I’ve got to get there first.
I’m taking an oil services vessel down there. Trinidad is right next to Venezuela, and has it’s own offshore oil fields.
Anyway, I wouldn’t mind hanging around a few days after arrival to explore drum/percussion culture there.

I don’t mean steel drum stuff (which I love…there is nothing to compare to a live steel drum orchestra!)
I know the “pan” is the headliner as far a name brand Trinidad percussion styles.
I mean other African roots stuff…or even popular street drumming.
I found this googling around.
So apparently, those same Yoruba traditions that transplanted and syncretized in Cuba and Brazil are strong also in Trinidad
Admittedly I only glanced through what was available from the book.
Are there Bata traditions there?

I’ve been there numerous times before, but not with the outlook I have now.
Last time I was there ...last year…2 days after the culmination of Carnaval…story of my life: a day late, and a dollar short...I was amazed to watch on the local Port of Spain TV, an entire show discussing and demonstrating different hand percussion styles and groups.

Anyway, any input/insight that others might have would be greatly appreciated.
Joseph

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:08 pm

Joseph wrote:Are there Bata traditions there?

No. The music played for the Yoruba-based religion in Trinidad (called Shango) sounds considerablly simpler than what I hear in Cuban Lukumi or Brazilian Candomble.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Sakuntu » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:09 pm

There was a Trinidadian drum ensemble that came to my college a while back. they were smoking, but the really funny thing is that they were all playing Djembes! The only Trinidadian instrument that they used were "irons" (Car parts and brake drums used by steel drum bands-kinda like bells) The rhythms they did were calypso rhythms broke down for Djembes. it really sounded very West African. I've also seen many popular soca and calypso bands playing with a djembe player....I have no idea ??? Maybe you'll find some cool stuff down there and you can educate us all on whats going on down there in terms of hand drumming. I wouldn't be suprised if there is some nyabinghi drumming there as well with the Rastafarian influence.

PS-Hope you have a great trip. try a bottle of ice cold "Mauby" when you get there.
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:24 pm

Sakuntu wrote:There was a Trinidadian drum ensemble that came to my college a while back. they were smoking, but the really funny thing is that they were all playing Djembes! . I wouldn't be suprised if there is some nyabinghi drumming there as well with the Rastafarian influence.

It seems that back in the early 90's the djembe replaced the conga as the international "pan-African" drum. It's definitely an imported influence in Trinidad.

The Rastafarian movement arose in Jamaican partly because African traditions were suppressed so thoroughly there. There has been considerable more African retention in Trinidad, so I would be very surprised if there was any nyabinghi drumming on that island.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Joseph » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:52 pm

There is a lot of Rastafarian types there, whether only as a style, I don't know.
For being so close to Venezuela, it is a thoroughly West Indian place.
Joseph

Return to Miscellanea