What is your setting? - 3 congas setting

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:46 pm

macho in the middle, hembra to the right, a medium size "segunda" at my left, and a real deep sounding tumbadora in front in the middle

Hey, Thomas, that is exactly my setup for playful practicing of all sorts of rhythms too! :)
Occasionally I have my very old requinto at the very right. Otherwise two tumbadoras are enough for most styles (yeah, space on a small club stage is definitely a matter).
I love to play seated, but my 3 drum-Latin Jazz setup also works fine with Meinl Steely stands and me on a barstool, drinks not counted :;):

Edited By Mike on 1205423961
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:45 pm

Hey, Thomas, that is exactly my setup for playful practicing of all sorts of rhythms too!

I think this type of setup is quite common, and useful, too; I feel I have the most freedom this way.

On his record "Ya yo me curé", Jerry González is pictured with his drums in a descending line, Patato style, and he has a quinto (I mean, a real quinto) in front, so he can reach it with both hands. You can hear him incorporating the quinto sound in his tumbao on Conjunto Libre's record "Ritmo, Sonido y Estilo".

TA
Thomas Altmann

Re: What is your setting? - 3 congas setting

Postby windhorse » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:00 pm

I'm right handed,, but sometimes I play with the Tumba on the left, and sometimes on the right. Depends on how I was showed or learned the pattern.
Sometimes it makes more sense to me one way, and sometimes the other. Obviously, you can always reverse the handing and change the tumba from left to right or vice versa.
Here are two patterns I learned recently. They are both real gems! I wrote the patterns in block using Word, then pasted it into Photoshop to make a JPG.
Looks like you have to click on it to read it.
Attachments
3drumpttrnscrowder.jpg
windhorse

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:26 pm

What stroke are the X's in the mozambique pattern? Slaps? Touches?
bongosnotbombs

Postby windhorse » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:44 pm

oops,, you check, re-check, and still screw something up! :shock:
They're slaps..
windhorse

Previous

Return to Miscellanea