Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Workshop July 19-26

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Workshop July 19-26

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed May 07, 2008 4:25 pm

Hello Afro-Cuban enthusiasts,

The Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Workshops, July 19-26, 2008 at Humboldt State University in Arcata, California will begin accepting registrations on May 1st. Here is some information to wet your appetite.

We are very happy to announce that drummers Roman Díaz (Yoruba Andabo, Raices Profundas, Pancho Quinto), Toto Berriel (Los Muñequitos, Grupo Afro-Cuba de Matanzas) and dancer Freila Merencio (Raices Profundas, Yoruba Andabo) will be new additions to our stellar faculty this year. Lazaro Galarraga, who taught 2000-2003, will be returning as our song teacher. Francisco Aguabella is returning for his fourth consecutive workshop. The entire faculty lineup for 2008 is as follows:

Song: Lazaro Galarraga
Drum: Francisco Aguabella, Roman Díaz, Toto Berriel, Jesus Díaz, John Santos, Michael Spiro, Mark Lamson, Chris "Flaco" Walker, and David Peñalosa,
Dance: Reynaldo Gonzalez, Susana Pedroso, and Freila Merencio.

If you have never heard of the Explorations program, here is some information regarding our program.

Now in our twelfth year, we are proud of the reputation we have both in the United States, and in Cuba, as the most comprehensive Afro-Cuban dance and drum program in the U.S. We offer three levels of dance and five levels of drum classes as well as daily song classes, focusing mostly on the folkloric repertoire of the Yoruba, Bantú, Fon, and rumba. Efik, and Haitiano styles are also taught. The following is an outline of some of the many highlights of our workshop.

o Meeting other Afro-Cuban enthusiasts from all over the U.S and abroad.

o Learning in a multitude of settings.
- Classroom
- Traditional western approach where U.S. teachers break down and decode the beautiful drum systems of Cuba.
- Learning by rote, which our Cuban drum teachers tend to use.
- Cuban dance faculty breaking down the steps, upper body, and subtle nuances that makes up folkloric dancing.
Accompanied by our drum faculty, with their numerous years of experience and talent.

o Evening Parties
Informal house parties bring together our faculty, staff, and students. Here is where you see your classroom lessons in context.
This is where magical moments reveal themselves. Inspired in the moment, lost songs reappear, new songs are created on
the spot, drummers dance, the walls start sweating. You know, the usual stuff, only it is Francisco Aguabella and Lazaro
Galarraga, and on and on.....

This is just some of the highlights, of what for most is an unforgettable experience in one of the most beautiful settings on the planet.

The cost of the workshop will be $495. Dorm style housing with meals is available for $50 per day double occupancy and $57 per day single occupancy. But again, you will have to wait until May 1st to register.

Please check out our website http://www.humboldt.edu/afrocuban for more information.

Thank you,

Howie Kaufman
Founder and Coordinator of the
Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Program
Humboldt State University
davidpenalosa

Re: Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Workshop July 19-26

Postby windhorse » Sun May 11, 2008 2:09 pm

I'll be there Dave et al!
I'm paid up now, and have a plane flight to Aracta from Joly 19-27th. Staying in dorms.
Every bit of my tax refund goes to it.. I doubt that I'll ever be able to afford it after this one, with the failing economy,, so let's make it the BEST EVER!!
Whooohooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
windhorse

Postby davidpenalosa » Fri May 30, 2008 5:14 pm

Hello Afro-Cuban Enthusiasts,

The Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Workshops, July 19-26, 2008 at Humboldt State University in Arcata, California is currently accepting registrations.

Here is an update to my last post.

Francisco Aguabella, Lazaro Galarraga, and the rest of our faculty are all excited to be coming to Arcata this summer. Toto Berriel (Los Muñequitos, Grupo Afro-Cuba de Matanzas) has received his visa. Roman Diaz will not be able to join us this year, so Erick Barberia is replacing him. Mr. Barberia is an accomplished drummer, singer and dancer from Havana. He studied batá with Papo Angarica, songs from Lazaro Pedroso, and studied dance at the Escuela Nacional de Arte in Havana. He is a complete package. He will be teaching bata, bembe, and Bantú drum styles.

One aspect that stands out this year over past years is the number of great singers we have this year. Of course Lazaro Galarraga is legendary, but Toto Berriel sang in Los Muñequitos, Reynaldo Gonzalez has taught song classes at our workshop before and is very accomplished singer, and Erick Barberia has an excellent reputation as a great singer. So, our famous evening parties will no doubt be filled with songs, and as you know, the song is what fuels everything.

Another aspect that is unique for this year is the two lectures on Lucumi and Nigerian batá comparisons by Dr. Amanda Vincent. These lectures will explain the function, organology, gender narratives, and religious context of the Nigerian and Lucumi batá systems.

All of this and more is on our website http://www.humboldt.edu/afrocuban

I hope to see you in Humboldt in July.

Thank you,

Howie Kaufman
davidpenalosa

Postby davidpenalosa » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:39 pm

Howie Kaufman the Director of the annual Afro-Cuban workshop, asked me to post this update.
-David

Hello Afro-Cuban Enthusiasts,

The Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Workshops, July 19 - 26, 2008 at Humboldt State University in Arcata, California is still accepting registrations. Students from Bolivia, Ireland, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Colorado, Maryland, Illinois, Washington D.C, Hawaii, and California will all be coming together to study with our internationally recognized faculty. Now in our 12th year, we are proud of the reputation we have both in the United States, and in Cuba, as the most comprehensive Afro-Cuban dance and drum program in the U.S. We offer 3 levels of dance and 5 levels of drum classes as well as daily song classes, focusing on the folkloric repertoire of the Yoruba, Bantú, Arara, Carabali, and Haitiano styles of music and dance. Some highlights of our workshop are 1) Evening song classes with legendary singer Lazaro Galarraga; 2) Having master drum and dance teachers from Havana and Matanzas. We have 3 strands of dance classes, one entirely dedicated to the Matanzas repertoire lead by dancer Reynaldo Gonzalez and drummer Toto Berriel, from Grupo Afro-Cuba de Matanzas and Los Muñequitos de Matanzas, and two entirely dedicated to Havana styles lead by dancer Susana Arenas & Freila Merencio (both originally in Raices Profunda, as well as groups Ban Ra Ra, and Yoruba Andabo respectively), and legendary drummer Francisco Aguabella, who started his career in the U.S. accompanying dance, something he only does now at our workshop, and who Susana Arenas says is fantastic at following her on the dance floor; 3) Our U.S. drum teachers offer their unique perspective of learning as a foreigner. They were once like us, trying to unlock the code to the beautiful drum systems of Cuba. They balance the rote approach of our Cuban drum faculty. 4) Our evening rumba/salsa parties, where faculty and students come together and inspire each other. This is just a part of what for most is an unforgettable experience in one of the most beautiful settings on the planet. Please check out our website http://www.humboldt.edu/afrocuban for more information.

Thank you,
Howie Kaufman
davidpenalosa

Postby windhorse » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:30 pm

It's just a few days away now!
I looked at the updated schedule today and it looks like what I'm going to do is take Francisco Aguebella's classes the first two days - on Arara and Conga. I do already have plenty of notation on both, but I'm still curious. Then, for all the rest of the days I'll join the mid-level bata classes with Mark Lamson. At least that's what I'm thinking now. They have a Rumba dance class I'll take the first two nights that I'm planning on joining as well.. The beach party this year is on Tuesday!! Geordie, maybe you and Lisa (and anyone else in Northern CA) can join us for that, and camp out up there overnight??
Honestly, the thing I'm most excited about are the song classes with Lazaro Gallaraga each night!
Woohooo! Three more days!
windhorse

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:31 pm

Hey Dave,
I would if I could for sure. I was planning on going but then I got laid off and stuff.
I think Lisa is going to Congolese. Anyways James is going and he'll bring what he learns
back down to us.
Next year for sure! :!:
bongosnotbombs

Postby windhorse » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:01 pm

Ok,, I just meant Tuesday night at the beach party. I'll see you next year, unless we're rationing gas and plunged into the dark ages.
windhorse

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:41 pm

Yeah that party should be good, it's too far for a day trip and I can't take the time off.
Hope you can make it back to SF after, man.
bongosnotbombs

Return to Miscellanea