Cuban music under Castro - truth or propaganda?

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Cuban music under Castro - truth or propaganda?

Postby Light Seeker » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:59 pm

I read the following in a review of some Afro-Cuban cds, located here: http://www.houstonpress.com/2007-04-12/ ... cuban-cds/

"In pre-Castro Cuba, musicians were gods. Once Castro came to power, though, God was banished, and musicians, like the rest of the island's deities, were relegated to being just another cog in the revolutionary machine. Suddenly, bandleaders were propagandists, pushing Castro's communist agenda; set-lists were mandated by the country's politicos. Jazz, seen as an American product, was stifled. In one fell swoop, the progression of Afro-Cuban music came to a stop.At least it did on the island. Many of Cuba's best and brightest musicians found ways to leave the country: Arturo Sandoval, Celia Cruz, Willie Chirino, Paquito D'Rivera, Cachao and even a toddler named Gloria Estefan all made their way to America."

Is this the truth, or just propaganda? Or, if it's partially true, then to what degree?
Light Seeker

Re: Cuban music under Castro - truth or propaganda?

Postby TONE74 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:35 pm

I'm not an expert at this but it sounds like propaganda to me. Specially the part about Buena Vista. If they were not popular it was because peoples taste changed and probably considered their music outdated but music in Cuba has always evolved and continues to do so. Just because Cuban music has been blacklisted and not played in the US does not mean it hasn't evolved, most people just haven't paid attention.
I think there is more creativity in Cuba than most places as a matter of fact Buena Vista sounds nothing like modern Cuban popular music ( has the same base but sound is different). If it wasn't allowed to evolve it would all ways sound the same and thats your proof that it has. Jazz was still played (Irakere ) and even other American music such as rock and roll in the 70s. There are even heavy Metal bands, rap, reggae, etc in Cuba. Music, arts, sports, academics are all supported more than before Castro. Of course you had to meet certain criteria when considered for a spot at the music school such as being pro Castro which many people faked to get in. So yeah if you are openly against the government in Cuba then your chances of making it in music are almost non existent. But then again try being a supporter of Castro or communism in Miami and see how far you get.
I've been to many concerts of Cuban musicians a few years back and I never heard them push any political agenda or even mention anything about politics but currently the US government has denied them visas to come to the US and play. Also living there I met many people who believe in god and still practiced their religion maybe not as open as it is done here but they still did it without problems.
Another thing my father worked for the government like most people in Cuba and always told everyone that asked that he wasn't a communist and that one day he was moving here to the US to meet again with his parents. When he was offered to participate in political activities he refused and never had a problem.
Then again thats just my experience others have different stories I'm sure.
RIght now the biggest threat to Cuban music is reggaeton :D and its not even American (based on Jamaican dancehall).
TONE74

Postby guarachon63 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:46 am

Interesting that Ms. Flores Alvarez was taken off the music beat shortly after that piece was written:

EXCLUSIVE: OLIVIA FLORES ALVAREZ’S REIGN OF DUMB OVER PRESS’ MUSIC SECTION TO END

"Olivia Flores Alvarez, Assistant Music Editor for the Houston Press and the mind behind some of the most asinine, insulting, poorly researched and just plain shitty pieces ever penned about music in Houston is leaving the post on June 15th according to sources close to the paper."
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby Coco » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:03 am

Naming Gloria Estefan in the company of those others she lists is IMO a crime against Cuban music. I hope that's what she was sacked for.

And she's simply dead wrong about musical developments coming to a stop on the island post '59....anybody who knows anything at all about Cuban music knows that.

Whatever about her political views she is clearly a musical ignoramus.
Last edited by Coco on Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Relax...you'll get there quicker."
Coco

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:18 am

The ignorance and stupidity in the article is beyond comprehension.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby zumbi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:47 pm

a strong political bias can help someone get a position as a journalist or writer.
it won't give him or her any authority or knowledge of the subjects at hand.
anyone who in year 2008 still feel that usa is in the position to teach anyone about democracy, human rights or that sort of things...
...should get a free ticket for the next mars expedition.
and don't bother return to earth.
peace!
zumbi

Postby Derbeno » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:40 am

Not wanting to discuss politics too much but...

North Korea gives up it's nuclear ambitions and gets rewarded with economic aide and talks about normalisation of relationship with US

Whilst there is no change in policy regarding Cuba. I am baffled by the logic
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:37 pm

There is no change in policy because the Miami Cubans dictate policy to OUR government who still pays the RENT FOR the Cubans in Miami thru the 1963 READJUSTMENT ACT....they get there Rent payed by our government!!!..to this very day.....if there is anything anyone wants to know about the Miami Cubans just ask ..I got the answers...as far as the musicians from Cuba they DO NOT propagate politics, and really could care less...except for musicians like Pablo Milanese who support the govt. and very few others...Musicians in Cuba today are treated very differently now, that they are allowed to make and keep the money from their road tours, and also get paid for recording sessions now as well.. Just recently I heard that El Medico de La Salsa bought a house in Mirama/Cuba from the govt. for $40,ooo dollars US.....so capitalism is slowly creeping into the island...Communism does not work....that has been proven...the problem is that the Cubans in Cuba have no idea about capitalism and how it actually works and pays for things...believe it or not...they have no concepts of how we pay for our rent/cars/electricity/cable/groceries/etc etc...as they have none of these things in Cuba to deal with...the average rent for a family is just 12 dollars a month and the phone bill could be as high as 20 dollars...mind u the average pay for a Cuban is 30 dollars a month and that includes Brain surgeons as well... The 2 highest paying jobs in Cuba are Taxi drivers and Musicians....anything else ?.......Johnny Conga-Cuban American
JohnnyConga

Postby TONE74 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:15 pm

JC where did you hear about Manolin buying a house in Miramar? Last time I was there (not miramar ) I was asking about buying a house but it sounded imposible unless I bought it under someone elses name that lives there. Also the houses have to be of certain dimensions when built by a person living there.
Also who's rent does YOUR goverment pay for I haven't met anyone that gets their rent paid by the US goverment just for being Cuban ( unless your on section 8 of course which anyone can apply for not just Cubans ). I would apply! Since I'm paying mad taxes. Let me know, seriously.
Also from what I hear the pay for musicians there is still not that good thats why they keep defecting.
I think the whole policy thing is more of a republican thing since most Cubans down there vote republican. Every time democrats come into power they ease things up a bit. If Obama wins you will see what I'm talking about but then thats an if.
TONE74

Return to Miscellanea