Question for those who follow Orisha traditions

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Question for those who follow Orisha traditions

Postby Firebrand » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:52 pm

Hey guys,

I kind of have a weird question, and I thought that since some of you are practicing Santeros or know about the Orisha traditions, maybe one of you guys could interpret an incident that occured to me.

Across my house, I hear the call of a rooster in the mornings and at around 3:00 P.M. My front neighbor is a Latino man and I believe he's the owner of the rooster. I arrived at my home yesterday and I got out of my car (in the driveway). Suddenly, I hear rustling to my left and look over. Standing in my lawn were 5 roosters (or maybe 2 male roosters, and 3 black chickens behind them). The male roosters were dark black, with some small streaks of orange in their feathers, and the red head and chin appendages. They were the longest, biggest roosters I've ever seen in my life...and they walked in a very regal/noble manner. They walked across my lawn and paraded around a small location in my lawn where I have a statue of the Virgin Mary and a Fransiscan Monk. I was brought up half-Catholic and half-Baptist, but I'm not particularly involved in a religion (although I'm spiritual and read a lot on all types of traditions). The statues were left there by the previous owners and somehow, it felt right to leave them in the location they were left (surrounded by a landscaped layout of stones).

Why do I think incident is more than just meets the eye?

1) Because I am unaware of any other time that these roosters have come into my lawn.

2) Because I assume they're locked in a location across my street...how did they get out?

3) Of all the places they could have gone...down the street, to the neighbors on THEIR side....why come across to the other side and specifically enter my yard?

4) When they left my yard, they went STRAIGHT to my front neighbors house...they did not deviate to other homes or visit any other places.

5) In the last 3 weeks, I've begun an apprenticeship in Bata rhythms with a contemporary of John Amira, Puntilla and much of the NYC bata scene...AND I've immersed myself into reading a lot of the history and customs of Orisha practice (mostly Cuban Santeria's version of it).

Was this a sign or a message? Are roosters a symbol of a particular Orisha? What do others here think?

ON EDIT: Please send me replies as Private Messages. Since this is a matter that deals with spiritual details that are private / secret to some, I do not wish to offend anyone. Please feel free to send me your thoughts via Private Message.
Firebrand

Re: Question for those who follow Orisha traditions

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:17 pm

Firebrand,

roosters, hens and chicken are a staple sacrificial offering for a lot of, or almost all, Orishas. The offering of fowl is generally prescribed by an oracle (obi/diloggun/Ifá) or may be a traditional constituent of a particular ritual. The color of the bird is associated with the respective Orisha that it is offered to, or is determined by the odu of the oracle.

I am not aware of a correspondence of the rooster with a specific Orisha. Nor can I recall what the use of black roosters or chicken is.

My sincere tip is that the incidence has the meaning that you attribute to it, no more no less. As far as I'm concerned, I cannot see any explicite message in it, and I would like to give you the general advice not to over-interpret anything that reminds you of the religion in any way. You might be very open or alert to possible signs since you became involved with Santeria music. I remember that in the beginning I was almost obsessed for some time where I looked at everything that I realized as meaningful in a religious sense. That was good as an exercise, not more. But whatever event speaks to you, listen to the message you hear and let it guide you.

This is my personal opinion.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Re: Question for those who follow Orisha traditions

Postby Firebrand » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:10 pm

Thomas,

Thank you. I wanted to get these sort of opinions and keep an open mind to all possibilities.

I must admit, though...what an absolutely unusual sight!

Take care
Firebrand

Return to Miscellanea