Tendinitis Tennis Elbow Problems HELP

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Tendinitis Tennis Elbow Problems HELP

Postby docarroyo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:33 pm

Ok guys some of you older players like me have surely encountered Tendinitis sometimes refered to as Tennis Elbow. I have playing for many years and when younger it did not effect me as bad as it does now. For me the cause is repetative actions with my left hand which many if not all of us do. Lifting a mug or certain movements cause me pain or extreme discomfort to say the least. I know what the books say but was wondering if anyone had a remedy that has worked for them. I would appreciate recommendations and maybe others would benifit from the info if not today sometime in the future. Thank you all in advance.

Rey Arroyo Jr. AKA Israel, Dondi, Docarroyo
docarroyo

Re: Tendinitis Tennis Elbow Problems HELP

Postby Joseph » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi Docarroyo,
I have also suffered bouts of tendinitis in my elbows, many times having to work although in pain.
Of course you know that the ultimate cure is to stop doing the activity that caused the condition to develop.

I've tried about every "tennis elbow wrap" out there, in a effort to be more comfortable when it flares up.
Many of those elbow wraps are very tight to provide an acupressure-like point of relief.
I always found myself snatching them tighter and tighter, and never really did get any long term results from them
...and was greatly relieved to take them off at the end of the day.

In my search for relief I stumbled on to another type of elbow wrap, which has helped me tremendously.
It's a soft terry cloth elastic figure eight shaped wrap that gently supports tendons on either side of elbow.

I can't say enough good about this product, and highly recommend it. I should do one of their 'testimonials'.

Very comfortable to wear.
Whenever I can feel that tendinitis-y feeling beginning, I put these back on as a pre-emptive measure, and I haven't had a bad bout of it since.

Developed by a doctor for his own pain.
Read about it.
http://www.elbowaid.com/

Update: FWIW : 3 regular over the counter (non -prescription) generic Ibuprofen, taken at one dose, have the same anti-inflammatory properties and strength as some prescription anti-inflammatory drugs. I was told this by a pharmacist.
While taking ibuprofen is not a cure, a regimen of ibuprofen can help relieve inflammation of the tendons of the elbow and help you through the worst of it.

Regards,
~Joseph
Attachments
Elbow_Diagram.gif
Your Arm is the red arrow. The L'bow aid tag is on the inside of elbow joint
The Blue arrows show where gentle pressure supports tendons,
on forearm and upper arm.
Elbow_Diagram.gif (8.51 KiB) Viewed 10286 times
Last edited by Joseph on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Joseph

Postby Mike » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:04 pm

That sounds like a pain I have also been through, Docarroyo.
I feel sorry for you, brother :(
It needs some patience to overcome the tennis elbow pain. DonĀ“t force things. Wearing the bandage that Joseph suggested is really highly useful and effective.
I have also made very good experiences with acupuncture. There may not be the guarantee that tendinitis will never come back. So if you know someone who can be trusted, I would advise you to try this method. Te man or woman should have a license though.
Speaking from personal experience,the doc who pinched me surely knew about his job and it has kept that kind of pain at bay ever since. Besides, at 40+ many of us have gotten get more careful anyway with your body...

Good luck and never lose hope. Take care.
-Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby G-Man » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi Docarroyo,

I have had same pain/symptoms for the last two years. Mainly in the muscle area just past my left elbow.

My PT has me doing heat and cold packs, one right after the other. I do this series 3 to 5 times, a couple times per day.

This really works for me. Plus, I take it easy on playing fast and let the arm rest.

Hope this helps.

G 8)
What comes from the heart, goes to the heart
G-Man

Postby docarroyo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Thanks to all, I have been going to PT and doing all the threapy it has eased up but I have not been playing alot since my finger also split open, thats healing well also, thanks again
docarroyo

Postby jorge » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:03 am

All good advice. I see it has been 2 months, and you are getting better but not completely healed. It shouldn't take too much longer.

While an elastic support like the figure 8 band recommended can help a lot, you should not just put it on and go ahead and play normally. You do need to rest your tendons for a few months. Rest, however, does not need to be total, just rest the involved tendons. Listen to your pain and avoid activities (not just playing congas) that make the tendon hurt. Lots of everyday activities from opening jars to working out in the gym to working with hand tools and, yes, even playing tennis, can aggravate your tendinitis. To keep from letting your musical chops get rusty, try different percussion instruments like chequere, bell, bongo, cajon, claves, maracas, as well as singing. If it makes your tendon hurt, don't do it. A lot of those activities use different muscles and tendons and could be done without aggravating your tendinitis. You have to try each one out to see if it bothers you. So "rest" is not as bad as it sounds, unless you play professionally and can't change instruments temporarily while your tendinitis heals.

Of all the recommended treatments, physical therapy is the most likely to be helpful. Continue with your physical therapist, ask him or her about any cross-playing instruments you want to play, you might even bring it in to your PT session so your PT can see exactly which muscles and tendons you are using.

Tendon heals very slowly, and even more slowly as we get older. It usually takes a few months of relative rest for a tendinitis to go away completely. Returning to the activity that caused it too soon will just cause a relapse and extend the time to healing. Sounds like you are almost there but don't be impatient, use this off time to learn some new songs and maybe learn a new instrument that uses different muscles. Long term, after all the pain is gone, stretching and strengthening exercises your PT can teach you, done every other day, will help prevent future tendinitis. Also, once you go back to playing, observe your technique very carefully to see if you are doing anything that would cause the tendinitis. I have found that watching some of the old master conga players who have been playing over 40 or 50 years is helpful. These guys tend to have sorted out any technique problems that cause long term injury many years ago. I don't know where you are located, but, for example, Francisco Aguabella has amazing technique, he is over 80 and plays stronger and louder than almost anyone else I have seen of any age, without hitting the drum hard. Timing and technique. A good teacher can help you a lot, once your tendinitis is healed.
jorge

Postby docarroyo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks for the advice Jorge but I do not think its my technique as far as playing goes, I think I did it while wrenching an engine . I've been playing for at least 40 yrs without problems, but all your advice is sound I was a Corpsman for 20 years and would advise the same to any of my patients. I was looking for a quick home remedy but realize that there isn't a quick fix. Thanks again
docarroyo

Postby wet bull » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:33 am

Can't emphasize enough how beneficial a regular hatha yoga practice can be for all musicians, and especially percussionists. If there is a studio in your area, you should seriously consider taking a course, or a regular class. Good for the body, and the spirit.

Good luck with your pain.
wet bull

Postby Derbeno » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:54 am

BTW guys that was not me playing. It is an extract from the Javier Campos Martinez dvd. I put it on my photobucket page and will remove it, for obvious reasons, once this thread has ran it's course.
Photobucket with a private account keeps it quite contained and does not open it to the whole world like youtube does.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby tispasa » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:01 am

Can you guess the proper name of this world-class tennis coach? My boss said he's going to teach us in the same style as the world's best coach... It sounded like "Joefrey" but obviously I don't know the correct spelling and I am not sure who he was referring to. Can you help?

Return to Miscellanea