What are this congas really worth ?

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

What are this congas really worth ?

Postby OLSONGO » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:46 pm

3 Lp 40th edition USED in good condition, with bags and stands. What is average current cost in the forum.
Paz
Olsongo
Attachments
lp40thedition.jpg
lp40thedition.jpg (4.13 KiB) Viewed 6728 times
OLSONGO

Re: What are this congas really worth ?

Postby Derbeno » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:38 am

On Samash they are:
$454 and $468 for Quinto and Conga. This compares to $439 and $459 respectively for bog standard Classics.

The % differential is small, so use the price range of previously used Classics as guide and add a small premium.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Tonio » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:14 pm

You can get classics from $339 (quinto ) and up now.

T
Tonio

Postby KING CONGA » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:46 pm

These congas can easily be compared to the classics they are almost identical as far as shape and hardware, this being the, case their cost should be very compatible with the classics. What I personally liked about this set is the LP logo, it's actually an inlay, it's really nice and from what I know about LP this is the only set that has been offered with an inlay LP logo.
Attachments
lp logo.JPG
LP Inlay Logo
lp logo.JPG (3.84 KiB) Viewed 6639 times
KING CONGA

Postby OLSONGO » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:07 pm

Derbeno thanks for the info. very helpful ....So I didn't do to bad, $475 + Gio bags and basket stands* ( not Lp ). :P
Paz
Olsongo
Last edited by OLSONGO on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OLSONGO

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:56 am

$475 for the 3 of them plus bags & stands! Chacho! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well done if so. Essentially yeh, they are simply dresed up Classics. An awesome bargain that was! 8)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:37 am

On a side note, while in my search for a vintage re-quinto or high end re-requinto, I was offered a 40th anniv quinto by the LP distributor here.
My endorsement buy price was $220 (conversion to U.S. is roughly $182 U.S. dollars.)
Shelf price was just over $700 (conversion to U.S. is roughly $579 U.S. dollars.) Exactly the same drum as its Classic counterpart only without the fancy (and girly in my opinion) colour scheme, and red inlay logo. The Classics were better priced.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby thomas newton » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:12 pm

ABAKUA wrote:... the fancy (and girly in my opinion) colour scheme, and red inlay logo.

That spray job does not look good, and to be brutally honest that inlay is damn ugly imo. That looks like gold hardware too so that's a triple offence in my eyes.

I've never heard them but Classics get great comments usually on this forum so I'm pretty sure they are fine drums - surely the best 'Anniversary model' would be the ones made to look like the first ones they made in this line, not some eyecandified, gimmicky, superficial reworking.
Tradition is not the custody of ashes but the propagation of fire.
thomas newton

Postby OLSONGO » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:25 pm

TN, Personally..I can care less for the gold hardware also, but it seem a certain percentage of the population likes it .. the inlay logo has red glitter which is a turn off also. Interestingly so, one of the hooks has what it seems a mike clamp welded on to it ?? The spray job is well done and I can take it or leave it, in general most people that have looked at them.. like' em . They are for the guy that plays congas at the disco :lol: I am sure Lp's marketing team do their research and surveys before finalizing on their designs. They will go in the store. ABAKUA on the dressing up, the classic sure has been dressed up and abused , I remember at one time .. all you could get in wood from Lp was the naturals and if I am not mistaken they came with gold hardware( first time ) . They are still classics, and could they be collectors items ?. (40th ed.)

Paz
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:44 am

OLSONGO wrote:TN, Personally..I can care less for the gold hardware also, but it seem a certain percentage of the population likes it .. the inlay logo has red glitter which is a turn off also. Interestingly so, one of the hooks has what it seems a mike clamp welded on to it ?? The spray job is well done and I can take it or leave it, in general most people that have looked at them.. like' em . They are for the guy that plays congas at the disco :lol: I am sure Lp's marketing team do their research and surveys before finalizing on their designs. They will go in the store. ABAKUA on the dressing up, the classic sure has been dressed up and abused , I remember at one time .. all you could get in wood from Lp was the naturals and if I am not mistaken they came with gold hardware( first time ) . They are still classics, and could they be collectors items ?. (40th ed.)
Paz
Olsongo

Yes, I have played this model drums a few times and even have a female student who owns a set of 3. They do sound good, and as I said, they are basically dressed up Classics.
The paintwork is done very well and of high quality as is the inlay logo. Not cheap looking at all. As is the glossy finish, all very well done and everything you have come to expect from a high end LP drum.

But I think its a little feminine/girly like in appearance. Yes, the welding is something common on alot of the newer LP Conga range, its for mounting a cowbell, tamborine, or jam block on one of those rods or mic etc etc thats what the clamp is for.

I believe you are right, in time, they could become collectors drums, however they were mass produced even if only for a short time, but they were made in huge quantities, so I imagine they would not be too rare globally.

The old pink ones (also Classics) LP did for some other of their anniversary edition are now a bit rare and somewhat of a collectors item, but then again what typical Latino 'macho' tamborero or Tumbador is gonna want a set of pink congas? hehehehe. Didnt you or Dario have a set of these for sale at one stage? ttttthhhuuuuuuper! :lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby OLSONGO » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Abakua , the gold and the glitter is what gives it that look...but that all can be changed with some stripper and a sander and you still have a great deal.:lol: But I already have a CL e-mail about wanting them. I am staying put with my wooden white /black grain discontinued finish job. The Gio bags that came with them, well made ...but with no wheels ?? intended to carry those tanks of Galaxies wooden , Paladiums (bags to match) . On the pink ones ? I don't remember seen them. Congalus Pink mama maybe? Dario you still have them ? There is this thing about pink in Miami.
Yes i did see a girl in one of your pics with a set (esta bien buena)say my hellos, if they came with her I keep them :twisted:
Paz
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:28 pm

OLSONGO wrote:There is this thing about pink in Miami.

Oh really? *eyebrow-raiser* :roll: :wink: :lol:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:59 pm

OLSONGO wrote:On the pink ones ? I don't remember seen them. Congalus Pink mama maybe? Dario you still have them ? There is this thing about pink in Miami.

I believe they were called "Millenium Series"

Regarding my friend Cindy, I'll get some pics up when I get home from work. No access to facebook & myspace from work computer. :( :lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Return to Miscellanea