Restoring Congas Bongos, to original or hybrid

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Restoring Congas Bongos, to original or hybrid

Postby willie55 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:08 pm

i have notice a lot of restored congas and bongos, that have been beat up by playing and then brought back to new condition. my question is do in other forms like autos, atiques and guitars, they like to restore to a different level,
autos to original condition-custom condition-ala Auto Auctions
atiques to light cleaning and leave the aged patina
guitars, leave bumps scrathes whole. something like Willie Nelsons acoustic guitar.
I want to do a pair of 70s LPs fiberglass with custom air brush work, but use same polished hardware and new skins. so i will consider this as a custom restoration, with limited resale because it will be what i wanted air brushed. or shoud i just paint it the original color. so if i ever need to sell i will have a bigger market.
willie55

Re: Restoring Congas Bongos, to original or hybrid

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:47 am

I suggest to do what you want with it, i.e. the custom airbrush.
70's fiberglass LP's are cool and all, I used to have 3 of them,
but I don't think they will increase substantially in value just
because they are repainted the original color.

I think I put my set of 3 together for about $475.

I just don't think old LP fiberglass drums appreciate in value like
wood drums do. It would be a different matter if we were discussing
Ecotones or King Congas.

There are exceptions in regards to LP, like some of the limited edition
Galaxy models ot something.
bongosnotbombs

Postby willie55 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:56 pm

I got quoted today for a paint job on 3 Lp Palisaides fiberglass congas that i want painted. $400 for top quality paint and clear coat. labor included. original colors of one white, one maroon looking red and one black. he will also quote me on a regular paint and top quality clear coat. I also asked what it will be for all 3 to be painted gold metal flake. So those of you who has had your congas painted what was your cost?
willie55

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:55 am

Lp glass drums are just ultilitarian drums. Your custom retoration w/ art is a great idea ! Many Asian made drums are all the same except for brand bage & some differences in hard wares and exterior finishes. Many custom finishes on the market are a result of making a more diverse & appealing visual product any way. Your idea of custom finishes is valid. How ever, auto paint & air brushed art is not as durable as Glass resin gel coats, but a clear coat would protect the art. The art may exceed the worth of the drum ! ? I love refurbishing vintage drums etc but in the case of less collectable latin Drums / Congas /Timbales etc, I often change lame hard wares & mountings to more dependable & practical alternatives. I recycle old parts & find new ways to make them useful. Here an example of my recent timbale hybrid of 1990's Afro / Pearl timbale shells w/ 1960s' Leedy lugs and 1930's WEL eagle claws that I polished off the nickle plating to reveal the brass claws. I built my own rims years ago and used them on this project w/ my own mounting system & powder coated them red & added Remo Ebony drum heads.
Ernesto Timbalero.jpg
A good alternative paint job on glass congas is Pin Stripes or art designs from the wild LP record album covers from the 50"s & 60"s ! The original colors are pretty lack lustre. Other sparkle styles are to gaudy and in some case ugly as well as cost prohibitive if you do it for $$ resale.
Ernesto Pediangco

Return to Miscellanea