Skin Thickness in Metric

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Skin Thickness in Metric

Postby OLSONGO » Fri May 07, 2010 8:49 pm

I lost my knowledge of the metric system , since I moved to the USA many moons ago. What is the metric measurement for the skin thickness for conga heads ? I like my heads thick. Thank you anyone.

Olsongo
OLSONGO

Re: Skin Thickness in Metric

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri May 07, 2010 9:00 pm

3mm and up is thick, 2mm+ medium and 1mm+ is thin. By my reckoning.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:17 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:3mm and up is thick, 2mm+ medium and 1mm+ is thin. By my reckoning.

Yes....and if you find any mearuring tool you can get a visual. Some flat skins may not be uniform in thickness, which is common, depending on the process used to clean the flesh side of the head. Modern methods usualy mount an entire side of a carcas on a flat slab of wood & run this through a planer machine which shaves things down to become flat level & even out the irregularities., then the circles are cut. How ever, if after the head is mounted & seems to thick for your liking, you can use an orbital sander ( like what auto body workers use ) and with coarse grain sand paper, to remove material from the underside of the head. It takes time & experimentation but its better than discarding a head you spent time & effort to mount.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby roberthelpus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Ernesto Pediangco wrote:
bongosnotbombs wrote:3mm and up is thick, 2mm+ medium and 1mm+ is thin. By my reckoning.

Yes....and if you find any mearuring tool you can get a visual. Some flat skins may not be uniform in thickness, which is common, depending on the process used to clean the flesh side of the head. Modern methods usualy mount an entire side of a carcas on a flat slab of wood & run this through a planer machine which shaves things down to become flat level & even out the irregularities., then the circles are cut. How ever, if after the head is mounted & seems to thick for your liking, you can use an orbital sander ( like what auto body workers use ) and with coarse grain sand paper, to remove material from the underside of the head. It takes time & experimentation but its better than discarding a head you spent time & effort to mount.

How do you hold the skin down. I have visions of skins flying across the room :D
roberthelpus

Return to Miscellanea