Artist ID

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Artist ID

Postby congabluedog » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:19 pm

photo-1.JPG

Hey everyone. I bought this print a couple of months ago. I really love the piece but just can't find any info on it or the artist. His first name is Angel and the last name is unrecognizable. Does anyone here know anything about this piece or the artist? The seller didn't know anything. Thanks, Congabluedog
congabluedog

Re: Artist ID

Postby Marcus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Congabluedog,

Well a quick google search I found artist Miguel Angel Botalín Pampín, however the work I saw was mostly streets and buildings not really many people and they did not look in the style of your print. But then again there were not many examples of all of his work throughout the years.

Brings an interesting point to this forum. With all the Cuban experience in music on this forum-the art of Cuba or Cuban artists in America has not been examined. Not that this forum is dedicated to art however might be an interesting side bar.

I am just starting to plan a Florida trip for Christmas 2013 and what just dawned on me was why not investigate Cuban Art and artists who paint in a Cuban style. Little Havana street artists might be fun vacation investigation.

goodluck in tracking down this artist.

.....marcus
Marcus

Postby congabluedog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks for trying to help Marcus. I took a close up of the signature and you can actually see a little better with the flash photo than even on the print. Any guesses on the name? It is still hard to read but I see the letters GZML. Anyway, in terms of art, there are 2 galleries, one in Provincetown, MA and one in Boston. The name in Provincetown is Galeria Cubana and it is owned and run by Michelle Wojcik. Here is the link to her site, http://www.lagaleriacubana.com. Anyway she has a great collection of modern day Cuban artist's works and is extremely knowledgeable about Cuban art and the artists. She knows many of the Cuban artist and helps to promote their work. Check it out if you want. Thanks again, Jacqui

ID artist.png
ID artist.png (92.4 KiB) Viewed 6779 times
congabluedog

Postby Marcus » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Hey CongaBG,

I finally checked out the link and very interesting! I will save the link and the contact for my future travels.

thx, Marcus
Marcus

Postby s'chopp » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks for the link Congabluedog, the artwork is impressive, I saved them all.
s'chopp

Return to Miscellanea