Mozambique: Kim Atkinson

Let's talk about what can be found around that worth having..

Postby dvon » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:27 am

Has anyone bought this one?
Any comments?
Thanks
dvon

Postby Gemma » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:53 pm

Saludos!

Do you mean the DVD or video "Mozambique 1" and "Mozambique 2"? Last automn I bought the DVD "Mozambique 1". Should you buy it? Well, it all depends on your level. In this DVD Kim Atkinson explains one of the few existing Mozambique patterns (I know five but I'm sure that there a lot more), first for one player playing two congas, than with the clave, a player playing one conga, the two players together, one with two congas and the other one with only one, then with an ensamble, this means, the to congueros in the front with their friends behind them playing clave, campana, sheckere, etc. The enclosed booklet explains the patterns in box-notation (not my favorite but...). Am I glad I bought it? Well, yes. It gives you a thorough understanding of "that pattern only". However the quality of sound and picture is just passable. It looks like a sort of home production, I don't mean the filming, which certainly was done with a farily low budget, but then again most instructional videos are, and still can be of great educational value. I mean the reproduction. It looks as if it had been burnt at home. The DVD case, or rather the cover is a simple photocopy, badly copied, in black and white. Either Kim Atkinson has his own "re"-production office in his backyard or the store I bought it from reproduced it illegally and sold it to me in a sealed cover. You can never know these days. If you do buy it, I would very much appreciate, if you would let me know what your copy is like. I'm glad I have it but I do not think that is the kind of DVD that you watch again and again, like for instance: Giovanni's "In The Tradition"; or "Conga Virtuoso"; "Travelling Through Time" with Horacio el Negro; Miguel Anga DÍaz's "Angamania" etc, etc. I hope that helps. Let me know if you buy it.

Que no pare la marcha!

Gemma

Edited By Gemma on 1106575052
QUE SIGA LA MARCHA, SIEMPRE!
Gemma

Postby dvon » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:18 pm

Gemma,

Thanks for your comments. I will have to decide if I buy it any time soon, because there are so many things I want to order that my budget is really suffering (though spending money in music is very gratifying, jejeje).

If I do buy it I'll let you know.

Good luck!
dvon

Postby windhorse » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:38 pm

Gemma,
Yes, it comes with the black and white label you mentioned.
Mine is accurately described by your review.

Edited By windhorse on 1107625129
windhorse

Postby Gemma » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:47 am

Hello!

Dvon, good luck with your budget. I know exactly what you mean. There is always somthing else one could buy. However, what instructional videos and dvds are concerned, I regard them as an investment. In the long run they are cheaper than private classes, as you can always play them again and again, stop and rewind as often as you like.

Windhorse, thank you for your reply. At least I know now that the store where I bought the dvd didn't cheat on me.

Lots of fun and... que siga la marcha, siempre!

Gemma

Edited By Gemma on 1108108067
QUE SIGA LA MARCHA, SIEMPRE!
Gemma

Return to Books, Videos, CD and other stuff