Software recommendation - Cool Edit

Let's talk about what can be found around that worth having..

Postby rahalak » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:01 pm

On another topic, King Kongas wrote:
"The CD tracks are definitely NOT long enough... I play the tracks to repeat a single track and it just doesnt "jive" while playing along with a metronome! I have to almost guess when the track will play again. The practice tracks are long enough and do provide a good practice tool!"

A software tool I use to make seamless loops of examples from instructional CDs, my classes, etc. is called Cool Edit. It's not very expensive ($69 I think) and easy to use. Very useful for overcoming the problem that King Kongas mentions above.

here is the link:
Cool Edit

ps-I don't work for them or anything, I just like the software.
Chris
rahalak

Postby 120decibels » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:41 am

I'll second Chris' recommendation. I've used CoolEdit for years. They even have a multitrack version (it's expensive). However, the stereo version is great. I've used it to record myself playing one part so that I can play along.

For example, I recorded myself playing Guauanco and then practiced my quinto over it.

It's a good peice of software.

Zach
120decibels

Postby KingKongas » Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:21 pm

Hey Chris/120 Decibels-
Thanks for the tip! It sounds like just the thing I'm looking for. I am using something called Quartz AudioMaster for recording on one track and playing over that track similar to 120 dec. The free version has 4 tracks that you are able to record separately. Once you record the tracks then there are SO many things you can do to digitally edit them by combining them in any number of ways, put digital sound effects on it, add the bells, whistles, shekeres, claves, etc. I'm no recording enginner by any means and I just have alot of fun with it! It also serves as a great practice tool to hear yourself. It serves some purpose to me but will check out the CoolEdit. I also record my percussion class practice (about 3 hours worth!) and then edit out all the "dead" parts using the Q-AudioMaster and parts that we dont sound too good and then I separate/combine the rest into whole tracks. I load them into my portable MP3 player and listen to it. Definitely gives you a perspective on sound, timiing, etc. as a group.
KingKongas

Postby Salseroberlinense » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:38 am

Goldwave is shareware and can loop recorded stuff.
Salseroberlinense

Return to Books, Videos, CD and other stuff