Adventures In Rhythm, Close-Up on Bongos and Timba

Let's talk about what can be found around that worth having..

Postby Norte » Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:06 am

Has anyone seen this video? At 60 minutes does it cover enough timbal technique?
This really blew my mind, the fact that me,
an overfed, long-haired leaping gnome
should be the star of a Hollywood movie.
Norte

Postby quinto governor » Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:13 am

Norte wrote:Has anyone seen this video? At 60 minutes does it cover enough timbal technique?

Hi! The video basically covers cascara patterns & and the open & dampening technique using the hand. Wish there was a video that focused on roll patterns for timbales. There are books with cd on the market- Victor Rendon & Chanquito- are 2 that I have. If you can read percussion notation, you would get move out of them, as far as patterns on the heads are concerned. Don't know how to read so haven't been much use to me yet. Chanquito's video "History of Songo" is good for learnig bell patterns. I started playing congas 4 years ago playing every chance I could at drum circles and at jams in the park.My first conscious experience with Afro-Cuban percussion was a cut on a Last Poets ablum from the 70's. Since then I've loved highly rhythmic music. Never really bought a lot of music, but what little I had I treasured. After getting a set of congas I'm now hoplessly addicted to afro-cuban and latin music.I probably will never get to the level of a professional percussionist, but I'm having a heck of of a time trying to learn to pay! IF anyone knows of a video that deals with timbales extensively it would be very helpful. Thanks!
quinto governor

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:58 pm

Hi. I know Manny Oquendo has a video which focus on timbales/bongos. Manny is really an "Old-School Master", the man is not big in speed and drums rudiments but you can bet he is going to be in the pocket with the groove. Now days I see the younger cats applying a lot of the drums rudiments on timbales. I like timbaleros that can play both drums rudiments and can play "tipico" too. Kind of balancing your act. Take Care :) !
RitmoBoricua

Postby quinto governor » Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:59 am

Thanks! I'll try to locate that video.You mentioned he doesn't use drum rudiments.Chanquito says the same thing in the 'Evolution Of The Tumbadora', at least concerning congas. You mentioned the term tipico- I believe. What exactly is that? As a beginner I've felt that my attemps at soloing never seem to make a coherent statement. I play phrases but they don't seem to speak to me. Does that have something to do with the concept of drums talking? Are rudiments strictly based in the western form of music and, therefore; don't convey a message maybe subconsciously or even consciously to someone steeped in an african based tradition? Just a thought.
quinto governor

Postby Michael S » Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:09 am

What about "Drumming With The Mambo King" by Tito Puente? I've only glanced through it and am not a timbalero but it seemed comprehensive. Anyone got some pros and cons on it?
Michael S

Postby Simon B » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:05 pm

If you listen to folkloric Afro-Cuban and indeed African drumming you can hear the rudiments all right. Rolls, ruffs, flams, etc, all centred around the clear difference between ACCENTED NOTE and UNACCENTED NOTE. Whether these drummers actually sit down and practice rudiments per se or whether they achieve their clarity through lots of rhythm-playing alone I don't know.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Norte » Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:52 am

Michael S wrote:What about "Drumming With The Mambo King" by Tito Puente? I've only glanced through it and am not a timbalero but it seemed comprehensive.

It's quite good. the best feature is that it has several of Tito's songs on the CD and the arrangements in the book.

I just got "A Master's Approach to Timbales" by Changuito and Victor Rendon's "Art of Playing Timbales" but I haven't had time to thoroughly go through them.

The one thing in common all of the books have is a fair bit of space dedicated to drumset patterns or other instruments such as conga and bongos. Since these are really the only three "timbale" books in print/easily available, it's a shame since there are loads of latin percussion books (for drumset) and conga books.

That's why I apporach the Gajate video with some trepidation. How much of the 60 minutes is timbale and how much is bongo?

Edited By Norte on Mar. 26 2003 at 20:04
This really blew my mind, the fact that me,
an overfed, long-haired leaping gnome
should be the star of a Hollywood movie.
Norte

Postby quinto governor » Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:48 am

Hi! How much covers timbales and bongo? Id say 10 minutes at the most. Besides those 2 he covers maracas,guiro and cowbell. Also the band plays a couple of tunes. So, as you can see, not really a lot of time to instruction of timbales and bongo. Still a good purchase I beleive for the price - about $25.00 bucks.
quinto governor

Postby Salseroberlinense » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:44 am

Does anyone have the "Manny Oquendo on Timbales" (Alchemy Pictures) video or knows where to get it? I was told it has something on danzón. The Tito Puente book only has one page on that style and no musical example.
Salseroberlinense

Return to Books, Videos, CD and other stuff