Quien Baila Aqui? - looking for DVD or video

Let's talk about what can be found around that worth having..

Postby julie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:56 pm

I'm looking for a copy of the Cuban documentary "Quien baila aqui?," some musicians in Cuba are asking for help locating one. Thanks.
julie

Postby jorge » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:47 am

Hi Julie,
That is a great documentary of the rumba in La Habana, Cuba, with interviews with Miguel Chappotin, Pancho Quinto, and other founding members of Yoruba Andabo. The full title is "Quien Baila Aqui: La rumba sin lentejuelas" (Who dances here? The real rumba without the sequins) There are some great scenes of rumbas de cajones with Yoruba Andabo in their homes in La Habana, and parts of an actual Palo ceremony.

It was written, directed, and produced by Elio Ruiz, the same director that made "En el Pais de los Orichas", which was a state-sponsored film of Conjunto Folkorico Nacional de Cuba, also with Yoruba Andabo. Quien Baila Aqui was an underground film he made without government support, that showed the real, noncommercial, behind-the-scenes rumba del pueblo. No Tropicana, no sequins, no mano secreta, no PA system. Although he made it clandestinely with a borrowed camera and virtually no funding, it won film awards in both Cuba and Puerto Rico. It is really an amazing film, the best rumba documentary I have seen.

If you PM me, I can put you in touch with Elio Ruiz, he may be willing to make you a copy. Who are the musicians in Cuba that are looking for a copy?

By the way, for those who are in, or can get to, NYC, we plan to show the film and have a discussion with Elio Ruiz at the Afro Latino Cafe rumba on Sunday, November 11, followed by a rumba. Anyone that is interested, respond here and I can post details once we decide the exact time.

Edited By jorge on 1193716647
jorge

Postby guarachon63 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi Julie I can make a copy for you as well, so let me know.

Sounds great about the screening Jorge keep us posted.

saludos
barry
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby julie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:07 pm

Thanks so much, I'll let you know. And, esquinarumbera is fantastic.
julie

Return to Books, Videos, CD and other stuff