MODERN Timbale patterns video

Let's talk about what can be found around that worth having..

MODERN Timbale patterns video

Postby Firebrand » Tue May 27, 2008 2:16 pm

Guys,

I have the Changuito Book on Timbales and have learned a lot on my own from performing in Latin circles. I'm also a drummer and I regularly play Timba/Songo styles of music. I own the Drumset Artists of Cuba video and Ignacio Berroa Drumset video and I've learned a lot from them too.

But...I find that one part of modern Salsa playing or Timba playing on Timbales is missing from instructional materials (or is it?) I cannot find any book or video combination that successfully covers different type of intricate, Timbale variations...that ones that you often hear Marc Quinones, Tito De Gracia, and other Timbale players do on most MODERN salsa records. I'm talking about the intricate rhythms usually performed on a combination of Chacha, Clave block, and Timbale bell (with the ocassional Snare drum accent).

Is there are video out there that dedicates itself to teaching patterns for Chacha, Jibaro, Songo, MOzambique, Salsa, and Timba...but for a more MODERN touch to playing. There's plenty of books that teach BASIC patterns for these styles, but nothing that highlights what new players are doing with the genre.

Any Thoughts?
Firebrand

Re: MODERN Timbale patterns video

Postby ABAKUA » Wed May 28, 2008 8:12 am

Hermano, get yourself 'Drumset Artists of Cuba' hosted by Chuck Silverman.
There is some instruction, but is more of a performance vid, but its all there bro. Very good material for study. You will enjoy it and find it very very useful.
Featured drummer/timbaleros are Jimmy Branly (former NG la Banda) Raul Pineda (former Sintesis etc) Samuel Formel (Los Van Van) and Jose Manuel Sanchez of Chispa Y sus Acomplises
Here is a small exert fromt he video showing Jimmy live with NG la Banda at El Malecon. http://youtube.com/watch?v=F_34oDF6ZIs

Nuff said. :wink:

Also there is Changuito's "History of Songo" DVD/Video

edited :oops:
Just read you have this video (drumset artists of Cuba), I'll leave it up here for those who do not have this material reference.
Last edited by ABAKUA on Wed May 28, 2008 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: just read your post properly! i didnt readit properly at first and thought you hadnt posted re the Drumset Artists of Cuba vid...
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Tonio » Thu May 29, 2008 3:39 am

Great clip, thanks for that Abakua!!
I'm missed the circulation of 'Drumset Artists of Cuba'.

T
Tonio

Postby ABAKUA » Thu May 29, 2008 7:28 am

It is still available. You would really enjoy it, some great footage, not the best quality, in terms of visual etc, it was shot with a handy cam in Cuba, but the content is priceless. 8)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Firebrand » Thu May 29, 2008 12:18 pm

No problem. I'll look into that History of Songo DVD.

I guess I should study the Drumset Artists of Cuba video a little more seriously.... :oops:

Thanks for the info guys! :D
Firebrand

Return to Books, Videos, CD and other stuff