Celeste Mendoza Y los Papines

Let's talk about what can be found around that worth having..

Celeste Mendoza Y los Papines

Postby Anonimo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:57 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Re: Celeste Mendoza Y los Papines

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Celeste Mendoza is a Godess here. Cuban music flourished here during the 60's, 70's and 80's and continues to do so to this day, so today Cuban music over powers anything out of the US, there are more Cuban themed music nights than 'salsa' type nights.
Rumberos here all worship the greats of yesteryear. Celeste, Carlitos Embales, Los Papines, Los Muñequitos, are all revered here amongst rumberos. In the early 70's through to the 80's my main teacher and father of my bro Tonio (which you guys may have seen in my vids) was the leading pioneer of afro cuban music and percussion and THE MAN on tumbadoras, the first to play 5 congas here, man he would put on the Irakere records and play note for note all of El Niño's marchas, guaguanco's etc you could close your eyes and think it was El Niño. I remember first meeting him in 1989, when I began studying with him, he introduced me to all the true Maestro's of this music.
He blew my mind when he played me one of Los Muñequitos first records from the 50's, man, what a collection he has.. Ritmo Oriental, Rumbavana, Enrique Jorrin, La Aragon, Los Van Van, Reve, Papines, Celeste, Muñequitos and it goes on and on, he has a whole spare room full of records. Much to many overseas visitors surprise, they find it so hard to believe so much Cuban music (in all its forms) arrived to our shores.
Back to the topic, La Reina del Guaguanco - Celeste Mendoza, her spirit lives on in the hands of the rumberos and in the hearts of us all. Una mujer tan fuerte, llena de Cubania.
Thos e are some of my favourite clips of Celeste the ones cuco put up, here is another one with the same rumba, the footage is a little clearer. Early Celeste with Los Papines. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1k2cSxYl90
and here from 1963 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhrvuLnPcOg
or how about this beautiful piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF7DF-nYKS4

But I love her singing rumba, I get chills when i crank my system to her singing rumba and i play quinto. Love it!

QUE VIVA LA RUMBA - QUE VIVA CELESTE MENDOZA.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby roberthelpus » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:12 pm

@ ABAKUA: Where is here?
roberthelpus

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Sup Rob, been living in Sydney Aus. since 78.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby roberthelpus » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:49 pm

I thought that everybody in Australia just listened to AC-DC :wink:
While driving around like Mad Max of course :shock:

Signed: The Ugly American
roberthelpus

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:27 pm

roberthelpus wrote:I thought that everybody in Australia just listened to AC-DC :wink:

hahahahaha. I fokin hate that band! Na loco, se forma tremenda rumba pa estos lados.

Recognize anyone? :wink:

Left to Right - Samuel Formell, Mayito Rivera, Cucurucho, Pavel, and Lele - Los Van Van. 8)

Anga & Myself - hanging out/lesson/jam

Back on topic....

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Return to Books, Videos, CD and other stuff