Latest CD....

Let's talk about what can be found around that worth having..

Latest CD....

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:57 pm

This is still available...Musicians on it are >

Eddie "GuaGua" Rivera-bass
Edwin Bonilla-Timbales
Ronnie Loreto-bongos
Doug Michaels-trumpet
Tom McCormick-Sax
Johnny Padilla-Sax
Juan Pablo Torres-Trombone
Mario Marrero-piano
Johnny Conga-congas
Junito Martinez-drums

guests-Sammy Alamillo-drums
Jeff Woods-guitars/congas
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/congajohnny
Breaking.jpg

Thank you for your support!...
JohnnyConga

Latest recording released...

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:54 am

This music is by African Artist Guillaume Sanje Mpacko from Camaroon. This is his music and song..The CD is called "Affirmation"...I am playing cajon and congas on this...Guillaume sings/composes/arranges/plays guitar and is literally a PHD in Mathematics and works for Microsoft and is a wonderful person to boot!....

http://soundcloud.com/johnny-conga/01-a ... ion-bluesy
JohnnyConga

Re: Latest recording released...

Postby Jackson_B » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:24 am

JohnnyConga wrote:This music is by African Artist Guillaume Sanje Mpacko from Camaroon. This is his music and song..The CD is called "Affirmation"...I am playing cajon and congas on this...Guillaume sings/composes/arranges/plays guitar and is literally a PHD in Mathematics and works for Microsoft and is a wonderful person to boot!....

http://soundcloud.com/johnny-conga/01-a ... ion-bluesy

I like the Guillaume Sanje Mpacko A LOT. Where can I buy a copy of the CD? I'm just finding his 'Praise & Celebration" CD. I see that he had a release party on 11/12. His website looks like he's set up to sell it, but the link to buy it says "Coming Soon". http://guillaumempacko.com/

Also enjoying your 'Breaking Skin', Johnny. 8)
Jackson_B

Re: Latest CD....

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:31 am

Guillaume has it posted here now... http://GuillaumeMpacko.com
JohnnyConga

Postby Jackson_B » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:51 am

JohnnyConga wrote:Guillaume has it posted here now... http://GuillaumeMpacko.com

Thanks, JC.
Jackson_B

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Gavin Webber.jpg
Here is Gavin Webber all the way from New South Wales Australia for his 3 day Conga drum Intensive. He will write about his experience with me on my Congazine page on the board.
Gavin Webber.jpg (39.26 KiB) Viewed 15185 times
JohnnyConga

NEW CD OYE!...COMING SOON!...

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:41 pm

OYEPROMO-2.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:00 pm

JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:19 pm

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/johnnyconga here is the link to my latest release OYE!...you can hear snippets of my music before you buy..I hope you like it and THANK YOU!..for your support!...
JohnnyConga

Postby Jibaro » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:29 am

JohnnyConga wrote:http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/johnnyconga here is the link to my latest release OYE!...you can hear snippets of my music before you buy..I hope you like it and THANK YOU!..for your support!...

Very nice. Mambo for Tjader sounds like Grover Washington's playing.

99 cents per track, all ten for $12! CDBaby's marketing department could use a lesson in economics.

R
Jibaro

Postby Kaban » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:50 pm

I just bought it last night, but I am having problems with downloading it. I think it's because I am using Google Chrome, it's the only time I have problems is when I use it for my browser. The samples sound great though!
Kaban

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:22 am

Tks guys... I wrote Mambo for Tjader It's a Latin Jazz number dedicated to the late great vibraphonist Cal Tjader..I never heard Grover Washington ever play anything like this..if so I'd like to hear it....Tks..
JohnnyConga

Re: Latest CD....REVIEW

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:57 am

Johnny Conga
Por El Chino

El conguero, compositor y arreglista de Seattle, WA, Johnny Conga con una experiencia de mas de 48 años en la musica continua deleitandonos, esta vez con su mas reciente entrega OYE ! para su propio sello Hand To Drum.

OYE ! es un album exquisito para los amantes del Latin Jazz donde Conga se destaca en el bongo, en las congas, en los timbales e inclusive en el vibrafono como lo podemos escuchar en Mambo For Tjader, una descarga que desborda toda la energia de este album.

El album tambien rinde tributo a otros grandes maestros como Tito Puente y Jango Rheinhardt en Mambo Diablo y en All For You respectivamente. La rumba tambien encuentra su lugar en OYE ! en composiciones como Maullaby Park – Bronx Rumba y la energetica Rumba Guarapachangueo. Otros temas dignos de ser nombrados en estas lineas son los cha cha chas, Chablue con el bello solo de piano de Mario Marrero y el solo de trompeta de Steve Mostovoy y Quiet Stroll.

Mambo For Tjader

Tracks:
Cold Duck Time; Mambo Diablo; Sidewinder; Mullaby Park – Bronx Rumba; Chablue; Footprints; Quiet Stroll; Rumba y Guarapachangueo; All For You; Mambo for Tjader

Musicos
Mario Marrero: piano y bajo
Fred Hoadley: piano
Sammy Alamillo: bateria
Rick Houle: bajo
Steve Mostovoy: trompeta
Nathaniel Paul: saxofon y flauta
Joe Cano: guitarra
Julio Jauregui: piano
Johnny Conga: congas, bongo, timbales, vibrafono, guagua, y vocales

Hand To Drum Records, 2012
JohnnyConga

Latest CD OYE!-REVIEW!..

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Johnny Conga – Oye!
December 30, 2012 • Posted In: Album of the Week

Johnny Conga has given the impression that he is an exceptionally quiet musician, releasing one album, Breaking Skin in 2009 and now, Oye!. In reality, however, he has a long career spanning 45 years.
Unfortunately, though, his reputation among the cognoscenti and fans of Latin Jazz and its constituent idioms must rest on the heritage of these two albums. His 2009 release was a revelation: For here was a percussionist whose skill and virtuosity equaled if not exceeded most of the conga players and certainly rivaled some of the percussionists playing today. Three years after that episode Conga releases his follow-up. How does this measure up to that first, explosively beautiful album? Oye! is a more sophisticated album from one of the most talented percussionists playing today. In fact if anything it is an infinitely more musical record; one in which Mr. Conga has applied all of his skill, virtuosity and intellect.
Those are some characteristics Johnny Conga has in plenty. The proof is first in the repertoire that Mr. Conga has selected for this album. Wayne Shorter has a Latin side and the trombonist, Conrad Herwig recorded a marvelous album transcribing some of Mr. Shorter’s classic charts. However Mr. Conga has also excelled at a task few would have dared to undertake: he has made a hypnotic and majestic transcription of Wayne Shorter’s “Footprints”. The chart has a certain menace to it when played on the saxophone as it is anyone’s guess whose footprints Mr. Shorter speaks of; on the other hand these could be perceived as a generational thing as Mr. Shorter speaks of the musical ancestors with deep and ponderous respect. And this is exactly how Mr. Conga treats this classic chart. Another chart that is simply wonderful is one of Django Reinhardt lesser-known charts for which Tony Bennett famously wrote the lyrics. While Mr. Bennett treated the song as a wistful ballad, Johnny Conga infuses the chart with a bustling joy. This is typical of Mr. Conga’s music and it is evident on the two solo performances on this record.

“Mullaly Park-Bronx Rumba” and “Rumba y Guarapachangeo” are among the finest displays of rhythmic coloration applied to the harmonic textures of song. The fact is there are probably several overdubs on both tracks; yet despite this device, Mr. Conga has succeeded in pulling off the performance of his life. In fact on the basis of these two charts alone Mr. Conga can claim to be among the top conga players outside of Latin America. Here it is certain that Johnny Conga has absorbed the sound and substance of his spiritual ancestors with a great deal of depth. In fact it would not be a fallacy to claim to hear Tata Güines in his playing as Mr. Conga is one of the most melodic and musical players around. For rhythmic muscularity Mr. Conga seems to have absorbed the angularity of Patato Valdés and on timbales, who can escape the influence of Tito Puente?
Still Johnny Conga has retained a singular voice and this may be heard in his tender tribute to Cal Tjader on “Mambo for Tjader”. Mr. Conga’s originality may also be borne out by his sophisticated cha cha chá blues, “Chablue”. These two charts might easily point in the direction of Johnny Conga’s next venture: an album of originals, perhaps, for certainly the time has come for Johnny Conga to give expression to the prompts of his deep and excited soul.
Tracks: Cold Duck Time; Mambo Diablo; Sidewinder; Mullaly Park-Bronx Rumba; Chablue; Footprints; Quiet Stroll; Rumba Y Guarapachangeo; All For You; Mambo For Tjader.
Personnel: Mario Marrero: piano, bass (2, 3, 5, 7, 10); Fred Hoadley: piano (1, 6); Sammy Alamillo: drums (1, 6); Rick Houle: bass (1, 6); Steve Mostovoy: trumpet (1, 2, 3, 5, 6); Nathaniel Paul: saxophones, flute (1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10); Joe Cano: guitar (9); Julio Jauregui: piano, synth bass (9); Johnny Conga: congas, bongos, timbales, vibraphone, cajón, guagua, clave, cowbell, guiro, vocals.
Johnny Conga on the Web: www.facebook.com/JohnnyConga
Label: Independent Release
Release date: November 2012
Reviewed by: Raul da Gama
JohnnyConga

Return to Books, Videos, CD and other stuff