Questions for All Bata Players - Bata Questions

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:22 pm

Ok guys I pulled out 3 of those albums..here s the rundown...

I bought them back in the late 60's "en el Barrio" at La Marketa on 116th st..the first one is called "Santeria Cubana" featuring "Conjunto OBAOSO"de Onelio Scull, on Bata drums are Onelio Scull-Angel Gomez-Julito Collazo and Patato Valdez, its on Santero Records. Domingo Gomez and Maximo Texidor are the singers.

The second one is called Ritmo y Lamento (Cantos de Santos)
and the third is called Fiesta Santeria Lucumi-Tambores Bata with the same mentioned group of "Conjunto OBAOSO".and on the other the group is called "Conjunto Santero de Bata de Onelio Scull. Probably the strangest thing is nobody knows who Onelio was, at least in my circles he was never known or even spoken of back then in the60's in New York...but I have his records....the label is also called "Santero" records...on all 3 records it's the same Bata group. ..."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:32 pm

I doubt if u can find these albums anywhere. If you do I'd like to know where, though mine are in mint condition,just curious to see if they are out there....PS...they are playing BATA drums on these records. I will listen again for that "kenyan" drum David, you spoke about,and see if it's on any of these albums...I haven't listened tothem in awhile...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:58 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Probably the strangest thing is nobody knows who Onelio was, at least in my circles he was never known or even spoken of back then in the60's in New York...but I have his records....the label is also called "Santero" records...on all 3 records it's the same Bata group. ..."JC" Johnny Conga...

Hi JC,

Onelio Scull was the producer for many of those LP's, also cassettes tapes at the time featuring batá drumming and that were intended to be sold in Botánicas, etc. I believe Onelio at the time was based in Puerto Rico. As stated by "Cachete" it was at Onelio's place where he first met Julito Collazo and Patato. After that encounter "Cachete" made the decision to move to NYC to study under Julito's tutelage.

Hope this helps!

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1138241011
tamboricua

Postby davidpenalosa » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:39 am

Johnny and Jorge,
Thanks for the info. I'm afraid that with my old LPs in storage and with no turntable, I am unable to contribute some nessesary specifics. I seem to remember seeing a picture of Julito playing that Kenyan drum on one of the two Grupo Folklorico Experimental LPs, but without the record, I'm relying on my less-than-perfect memory.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:47 am

Actually that photo your talkingabout is Gene Golden playing that kenyan drum on the Grupo Folklorico from NYC...."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby davidpenalosa » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:54 am

Thanks Johnny,
That's that less-than-perfect memory of mine I mentioned. I wonder what Gene Golden was doing with that drum? Julito is singing right? I bet there's an interesting story there.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby tamboricua » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:21 am

JC and David,

I do have the CD reissue of "Concepts in Unity" by Grupo Folklórico y Experimental Nuevayorquino and on the liner booklet there is a shot in some backyard of the late Frankie Rodríguez on okónkolo, Gene Golden on Iyá, and a very young Milton Cardona on itótele. They have an African balaphon in front of them, couple of chekeres to the side and what it seems to me some kind of small African drum with legs. Can't tell exactly what type of drum it is!!!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby tamboricua » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:42 am

davidpenalosa wrote:I wonder what Gene Golden was doing with that drum?

-David

Maybe accenting the downbeats, the one on toques like Chacha Olokefun, etc.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1138243441

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... tato12.jpg
tamboricua

Postby davidpenalosa » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:49 am

Nice photo, thanks. I meant why did Gene have that drum instead of an actual iya? He had already bought Markus' carved set by that time. Trivial question on my part.
-David;)
davidpenalosa

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:05 pm

Sorry David I don't have the answer to that one. those photos were taken outdoors, on a gig, and maybe they couldnt, get a hold of all the Bata drums for the gig, or he was using it as a "4th" Bata?...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby SkinDeep » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:07 am

davidpenalosa wrote:SkinDeep:
"MY PERSONAL OPINION IS THAT IF YOU WANT TO PLAY A FUNDAMENTO INSTRUMENT THAN YOU SHOULD ALSO BE FUNDAMENTO!"

me:
Has anyone suggested otherwise?

SkinDeep,
Why were you surprised to see the abakua drums in a DVD? It's not uncommon to see them in performances.
-David

NOBODY SUGGESTED IT BUT I DON'T CONSIDER PLAYING A RECORD FUNDAMENTO, I WAS JUST AGREEING TO SOME OF THE THINGS THAT WAS BEING SAID. NO OFFENCE HERMANO.
AS FAR AS THE ABACUA DRUMS GO, FROM WHAT I KNOW UNLESS YOU ARE ABACUA YOU ARE NOT TO TOUCH AND THE BONKO ENCHEMIYA IS NOT TO BE SEEN BY NON/ABACUA.

THKS FOR THE INFO ON THOSE ALBUMS JC, I'LL TRY.

Edited By SkinDeep on 1138320624
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby davidpenalosa » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:56 am

Thanks for clarifying SkinDeep. It's my understanding that the various protocols, taboos if you will, only apply to consecrated drums. That's why you will see bata used in salsa bands and abuakua drums (including bonko) performed by Los Muñequitos and abakuas in the streets of Havana during carnaval. Unconsecrated drums are used in theatrical presentations.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby SkinDeep » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:04 am

OK, THAT'S RIGHT. I KINDA OVERLOOKED THAT. THKS
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby ralph » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:09 pm

SkinDeep wrote:SkinDeep,
Why were you surprised to see the abakua drums in a DVD? It's not uncommon to see them in performances.
FROM WHAT I KNOW UNLESS YOU ARE ABACUA YOU ARE NOT TO TOUCH AND THE BONKO ENCHEMIYA IS NOT TO BE SEEN BY NON/ABACUA.

isn't it the "ekue" drum that is really the one that can't be seen or touched, and the bonko enchemiya is solo drum...the ekue drum i think has like a feather on it, and it looks similar in shape to the other drums in the biankomeko battery...

Ralph
ralph

Postby davidpenalosa » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:05 pm

Hey Ralph,
That's right. I've heard that about the ekue drum too. However, unconsecrated ekue drums (if that's indeed the one with the feather) are also used in theatrical presentations.
-David
davidpenalosa

PreviousNext

Return to Bata Drums