Drumming the Gods - ?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby timo » Mon Dec 10, 2001 4:43 pm

hi guys theres a book on Batadrums.com called Drumming The Gods, (not drumming for the gods, but i cant find it any more) its about 135 pages long and has derscriptions of bata drums, and lots of rhythms. the problem is that its in TAB form, and not notation like things should be ( so its anoying to read ) but if your interested , go to batadrums.com and look for it, but if you cant find it and still want it i can send it to you,
via e-mail. just wanted to to inform you guys unless you didnt know.
timo

Postby tamboricua » Mon Dec 10, 2001 6:36 pm

Hi Timo, hope all is well! Be carefull with those "Drumming the Gods" transcriptions. They are not totaly accurate at all. The transcriptions are missing the "manoteo". Very important in batá drumming, especially on the Iyá. Those transcriptions were made by Luis Nuñez a while back, and are merely adaptations from the famous Fernando Ortíz books. I suggest you find a good CD. "Sacred Rhythms" by Grupo Ilu Añá, on Fundamento Productions, and use it as your reference point. Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Dec 11, 2001 6:42 am

One of the best Bata records is by Gerardo Rodriquez.Recorded in the 60's. Then of course anything by Grupo Folklorico Nacional de Cuba. Nigerian bata is different than the Fundamento in Cuba. First they play standing, there are 4 Batas and Igbin drums worn around the waist. One must understand the "Mixing" of the "Tribes" in Cuba from Africa,though the dominate "Tribe" was the "Yoruba",from Nigeria into Cuba. There will always be controversy as with ALL religions,and each path unto itself. But the Heritage of the Drum in Cuba has the Respect of Africa and Vice Versa. Despite the Blah Blah Blah...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Dec 11, 2001 6:49 am

I would also like to add that the Bata experience was very limited in NYC in the 50's and 60's. None of the "Elders" ex. Julito Collazo and some others refused to teach anyone who was not in 'The Religion". So "We" were left to trying to figure it out for ourselves, so it got a little "Diluted". Until they finally gave in and realized it was" meant to be". If your going to play then play properly. But also remember that if you are not "Ordained" you cannot perform at any "Reigious Ceremonies". Even John Amira in his Book, The Music of Santeria says" that there may be "Discrepencies" in the parts in certain sections.. Peace and Practice...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Dec 11, 2001 6:52 am

Jorge I have never heard the term "manoteo" but I may know it with a different term. Could you explain this ,please....Mi silla es el omele....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby timo » Tue Dec 11, 2001 9:34 am

yeah , i was also wondering what "manoteo" is, but i'll be sure to check the CD's out. thanks
timo

Postby tamboricua » Tue Dec 11, 2001 4:34 pm

Hi JC, and Timo, hope all is well! Batá drumming involves more than just open tones on the enú and slaps on the chachá, like the transcriptions that Timo referred to. "Manoteo"involves those little ghost notes, muffs, finger touches, etc. They not only help to keep the proper tempo of the "toque", but also they are a fundamental part of the tonal language of the batá.
Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:53 am

Gotcha, Thanks Jorge....it's been explained to me differently but I understand about the touches, and ghost notes,etc. If it ain't got that swing it don't mean a thing! kila, kila kilakila ko.....JC JOHNNY CONGA......
JohnnyConga

Return to Bata Drums