bata heads

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby timo » Tue Jan 08, 2002 9:43 am

Does anybody know how to strap the head in the traditional way to a Bata, by rope, but how, is it done the same way as in a Djembe? or does it have some special way?
timo

Postby timo » Tue Jan 08, 2002 9:47 am

i know the head is strapped from the Enu to the Chacha, but how this is done i dont know.

p.s.(where is the edit button)
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:57 pm

:( Roping the Bata drum is not an easy thing to do,but I would think that my drum brother Laurant may know or have info on it.....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby timo » Fri Jan 11, 2002 4:41 pm

well i think i'll have to learn that roping later, since the weather is so unpredictable around here and they have to survive traveling into Finland, i'll just do lugs althogh they dont look as good, but i would appreciate the info on the roping. :)
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Jan 13, 2002 11:43 pm

:D Hi Timo R U in Helsinki? I used to work at the Hesperia Hotel.. It is toooooooo coooooold there for me but I love the Shrimp soup......Timo try Bata.com or BataDrums.com...There, they should be able to tell u , but I know it will take 2 men to do it. At your Service.....JC JOHNNY CONGA..........
JohnnyConga

Postby timo » Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:02 am

Unfortunately not :( . i'm in Jerusalem, Israel, but i'm moving back to Finland in june or july :) , i have looked at batadrums.com and haven't found anything on roping, and bata.com is a shoe companys web page. ;) yeah i roped a tabla on my own once,(though not as big as bata), my hands hurt for a week, i also roped a djembe (kind of) and its a lot of work. but i'm putting lugs on the batas i made(i'll finish them today, Okonkolo and Itotele) i'll send you a picture,
by the way JC did you get the pictures i sent you?
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jan 14, 2002 3:47 pm

:) Hi Timo No I have not received any fotos. Did u send them to my email?...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby timo » Mon Jan 14, 2002 4:05 pm

Yeah, i sent them to johnnyconga@hotmail.com, i'll send them again, cuz i think my e-mail wasn't functioning properly :)
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby timo » Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:06 am

Hi JC i tried to send the pictures, but it sends them straight back and says something about exeeded storage, i tried about four times, so i dont know whats wrong :(
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby timo » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:30 am

Hello again... Finally they are here ;) ah... my Batas that is, after about a year of just sitting around i managed to get the inspiration of putting the skins in place,(and they look beautifull!! i cant wait to get home and play them, i only put the skims on yesterday so there a little wet, still), so soon there will be a Bata "band" in finland, (where i live at the moment), possibly the only one? So if there are any percussionists who know anything about Bata in finland, contact me :) unfortunately i only have the Okonkolo and Itotele, but the Iya is soon to follow. i decided to use non traditional ways of putting the skins until i learn how to play properly, then we shall see what we can do about the skins...

anyway, i might try to get some pictures of them, if anyone is interested in my makings... ;)
AXÉ

timo
timo

Return to Bata Drums