guaganco on bata?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby gilbert » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:23 am

hello

does anyone know how to interpret Guaguanco on bata ?

Edited By gilbert on 1110972366
gilbert

Postby ricky linn » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Hi

My friend Amado Dedue Garcia from Conjunto Clave y Guaguanco in havana does a great guaguanco simply by replacing the Tumbadora (low drum in Rumba) pattern with the Iya (low drum in bata) pattern from the salute for Inle. It gives you a great funky bass line for guaguanco without changing the melody. There is an example of this on Voz de Congo from Clave y guaguancos cd Dejala en Puntica.
ricky linn
ricky linn

Postby ralph » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:22 pm

That is a good combination by Clave Y Guaguanco, now i want to listen to it again, and i'm at work...
Anyway i have found that when playing ChaChalokuafun, along with guaguanco, it kind of does sound better with just the tres golpes part, and just leaving out the tumbadora...
As far as i know ChaChalokuafun is probably the most used or recognized batarumba combination till now.
ralph

Postby ralph » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:24 pm

now do you want to play guaguanco patterns on bata, or do you want to play guaguanco, accompanied by bata toques?
ralph

Postby gilbert » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:46 pm

ralph wrote:now do you want to play guaguanco patterns on bata, or do you want to play guaguanco, accompanied by bata toques?

actually i want to play guaguanco on bata
gilbert

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:33 am

In a non traditional viewpoint, this is fine.
I was shown a method by master percussionist Daniel Lopez (student of Anga) who was touring with Gloria Estefan at the time and now Ricki Martin.

If the bata are tuned to 'typical bata spec' the pitch of the rythem wont be the same as congas, but yes, it can be played with similar effect. I personally think that guaguanco is best kept to tumbadoras though.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby tamboricua » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:31 pm

gilbert wrote:
ralph wrote:now do you want to play guaguanco patterns on bata, or do you want to play guaguanco, accompanied by bata toques?

Hi Gilbert,

I have seen some guaguancó interpretations played on batá posted at Henry Kellner's Percussion Studio. Check them out at:

Percussion Studio

Best,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1111256413
tamboricua

Postby gilbert » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:08 pm

ABAKUA wrote:In a non traditional viewpoint, this is fine.
I was shown a method by master percussionist Daniel Lopez (student of Anga) who was touring with Gloria Estefan at the time and now Ricki Martin.

If the bata are tuned to 'typical bata spec' the pitch of the rythem wont be the same as congas, but yes, it can be played with similar effect. I personally think that guaguanco is best kept to tumbadoras though.

can you show us this method plz?
gilbert

Postby gilbert » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:26 pm

tamboricua wrote:
gilbert wrote:

Hi Gilbert,

I have seen some guaguancó interpretations played on batá posted at Henry Kellner's Percussion Studio.
Check them out at:

Percussion Studio

Best,

Jorge Ginorio

i checked those patterns but i couldnt find the guaguanco feeling in them :(
gilbert

Return to Bata Drums