Yoruba - Does any one hear speak it?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby James M » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:46 am

Does any one hear speak it? There is a beginner's class at my university (University of Texas) that is offered occasionally. I meant to take it this year but it wasn't offered due to lack of interest. I'll try again in the fall. There are some resources on the web, but it isn't exactly a written language, and you definately have to learn by ear. It would be a great suplement to any student of west-african drumming/culture.

Edited By James M on 1080805593
James M

Postby James M » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:27 pm

Here is a very good free resource

http://www.yoruba.georgiasouthern.edu
James M

Postby Tonio » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:03 pm

yeah... just kidding. Man James you're really into this stuff>

Thanks for the link - great site!

I used to study some stuff back in the day when I learned Bata. Actually got into it alot with reading history, Santeria.
When I got to Itotele, and quit due to many aquaintances being so anti cult minded. Should have never quit.
Had a good teacher too.

T
Tonio

Postby James M » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:59 am

I don't know that I'd ever go so far as be initiated-that's 7 years and there isn't exactly a sprawling community around here, but I do have an interest in it. I attended one of the open celebrations in Salvador, Bahia at the terreiro Casa de Oxumaré, and it was perhaps the most spiritual moment of my life
James M

Postby changolaye » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:00 pm

im not fluent in yoruba but i do speak some i am a priest in the afro cuban orisha tradition for many years if u understood some u would hear how the bata drums speak and say alot of the phrases 2 many songs for the orisha
llllllll
changolaye

Postby ralph » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:33 pm

(if u understood some u would hear how the bata drums speak and say alot of the phrases 2 many songs for the orisha)

That is true, just recently my teacher Felix, showed me that first hand, he would play some toques, and then sing at the same time, so stuff he was saying was falling exactly like what he was playing...
Ralph
ralph

Return to Bata Drums