Batarumba rythms combinations

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Laurent Lamy » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:03 pm

Hi everyboy,

I would like to discuss about rhythms used to mix in the combinations of batarumba.

I know the most known :

Chachalokuafun + Guaguanco
Rumba Obatala + Guaguanco
Ñongo + Columbia
etc...

Those little less known :

TuiTui + Columbia
Inle + Guaguanco
Chenchekururu + Guarapachangueo
Odua por derecho + Palo

I would like to know those whom you know?

Those of the legendary groups like "Clave y Guaguanco", Afrocuba de Matanzas etc...

Goodbye
Laurent Lamy

Postby tamboricua » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:56 pm

Laurent,

One that comes to mind is Rumba Iyesá with Guaguancó. Check out the track Caridad by grupo Afrocuba de Matanzas. Mozambique with Rumba Iyesá sounds very cool too! I have also heard Anthony Carrillo mixing Agueré de Ochosi with Plena. Should we call it batáplena or plenbatá???

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1093895316
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:28 pm

Bonjour Laurent.....Laurent where can i find a list of Afro Cuban rhythms?...I see you mention 3 I have no experience with....TuiTui.....Chenchekururu.....Inle...plus are there audio examples i can hear?....Sorry I didn't make the gig to Paris, but possibly this coming year with my band...Tumba Caliente...modupue..."JC" Johnny Conga.......
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:56 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Bonjour Laurent.....Laurent where can i find a list of Afro Cuban rhythms?...I see you mention 3 I have no experience with....TuiTui.....Chenchekururu.....Inle...plus are there audio examples i can hear?....Sorry I didn't make the gig to Paris, but possibly this coming year with my band...Tumba Caliente...modupue..."JC" Johnny Conga.......

Hi JC,

Hope all is well! Tui Tui is a batá toque for Oyá. Very popular among rumberos these days, used as a substitute when playing Rumba Columbia. Chenchekururú is another name for the batá toque of the oricha Osain. Inle is an oricha with it's respective toque.

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1093895024
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:25 pm

Vaya ..Mi pana Jorge...Gracias....I was kinda sure about Inle but the other two, I'd have to hear them. I'm not one to have put to memory all the toques and the llames that go with them. My experience with the Bata, for the most part has been great. I am not a Batalero or have "Omo An~a".I will recieve that when i go to Cuba . Do you have any sound bites for examples or music you'd recommend?....You'd be surprised as the longer you play, the more you seem to have forgotten...."JC" Johnny Conga..... :(
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:37 pm

Un placer mi hermano!

Go to the attached URL and listen to track # 7, Los Rumberos.

John Santos & Coro Folklórico Kindembo "Para Ellos"

That's an adaptation of the batá toque Tui Tui to the tumbadoras and Rumba. Pay attention to the melody the drums are creating.

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Laurent Lamy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:25 am

tamboricua wrote:
JohnnyConga wrote:Bonjour Laurent.....Laurent where can i find a list of Afro Cuban rhythms?...I see you mention 3 I have no experience with....TuiTui.....Chenchekururu.....Inle...plus are there audio examples i can hear?....Sorry I didn't make the gig to Paris, but possibly this coming year with my band...Tumba Caliente...modupue..."JC" Johnny Conga.......

Hi JC,

Hope all is well! Tui Tui is a batá toque for Oyá. Very popular among rumberos these days, used as a substitute when playing Rumba Columbia. Chenchekururú is another name for the batá toque of the oricha Osain. Inle is an oricha with it's respective toque.

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Hi,

just a little thing :

Chenchekuru is a toque for Ochun. For Osain, it's Kuru kuru Bete.

Friendly yours

ZunZun
Laurent Lamy

Postby tamboricua » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:54 am

Thanks for the correction!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1093960082
tamboricua

Postby Laurent Lamy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:15 am

Hi Johnny,

You can find a good list here :

http://www.ochemusic.de/toques.htm

Friendly yours

ZunZun
Laurent Lamy

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:00 pm

GREAT Laurent....MERCI!.....fantastic site too!....."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby mcanepa » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:01 am

Hi Laurent, hi all ...
I´m new in this forum.
Can anyone tell me where to find some info about the TuiTui + Columbia, Inle + Guaguanco, Chenchekururu + Guarapachangueo, Odua por derecho + Palo, etc. you mentioned in this topic?
I´m very interesting about learn this toques, I play congas for 10 years, but I own a trio of batá made by Eduardo Cordova (Cuba) and wish to learn this rythms too.
Thank you all.. Marcelo.
Marcelo
mcanepa

Postby davidpenalosa » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:22 am

Hi Marcelo,
If you want to learn the parts that make up those bata toques, I highly recommend Gary Greenberg's book "Bata - Oru Seco; Sectional Transcriptions of the Oru del Igbodu". It's a very straight-forward presentation (using box notation) of the rhythms of the igbodu and other bata rhythms. There are other books out there too, but this one is a good introduction to the bata. You can inquire at batadrums.com. You can obtain Gary's book by contacting him directly.

Gary Greenberg
PO Box 844
North San Juan, CA
davidpenalosa

Postby franc » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:16 am

amigos,
i need to know if there are books for sale and, where i can buy on bata learning rhythm?? of course with cd included. awsome sound the bata!!!!!saludos a todos, franc :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby tamboricua » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:59 pm

franc wrote:amigos,
i need to know if there are books for sale and, where i can buy on bata learning rhythm?? of course with cd included. awsome sound the bata!!!!!saludos a todos, franc :cool:

Hola Franc,

Check out the book/CD, The Music of Santeria:Traditional Rhythms of the Batá Drums, by John Amira and Steven Cornelius. Critisized a lot, but in my humble opinion one of the best book available today. Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1129248144
tamboricua

Postby franc » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:05 am

jorge,
como siempre!! gracias. hope all is well in your journey in this great music. wish you all the best, your friend, franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Next

Return to Bata Drums