osain 4 parte =¿rumba obatala?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby epo » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:45 am

hi

what,s up!

i,m have undestading that the osain (4part) rhythm of the oru seco is the same that rumba obatala.

and the other rumbas like chachalokuafon,rumba iyesa or rumba ochosi, have this rhythm another name in the oru seco?

sorry for my english!!!

hola

que tal?

tengo entendido que la parte cuarta de osain el ritmo del oru seco es lo mismo que la rumba obatala.

las otras rumba como el chachalokuafon,rumba iyesa o la rumba ochosi,tienen otro nombre en el oro seco?

un saludo

chao
drum
epo

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:55 am

Hi epo,

as far as I know, Chachalokpafun is not included in the oru seco, at least not in Havana. Rumba Iyesa is sometimes cited in Osain (the same toque that Rumba Obatala is derived from). Pancho Quinto seemed to do that, for example - at least during my lesson with him.

Rumba Ochosi is a name that I had first given to the toque in mind. Reason: John Santos told me that this toque is sometimes called "Ochosi". To me however, "Ochosi" would be the name for the toque alternately known as "Aggueré" (the one in the oru seco). So I dared to christen it "Rumba Ochosi", according to "Rumba Obatala". Both toques are of essential importance for representing each of these Orishas in the oru cantado. Other names common for this toque are: "Teremina" (Lazaro Pedroso), "Tereminaminatere" (Adrian Coburg), or "Guerreros" (Ezequiel Torres). The toque listed as "Iboreo" in Coburg's book is very similar to Rumba Ochosi and appears as a Matanzas version of the toque.

I have never heard Rumba Ochosi being incorporated in the oru seco. Perhaps it is done in Matanzas; I don't know.

Greetings,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Return to Bata Drums