Are there members which are interested in batas?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby tamboricua » Sat Nov 24, 2001 6:00 pm

LP has available in the market these days a second generation of batá. They are very nice! Actually, when Los Muñequitos were about to record the "Live in New York" Cd, they requested LP batá to do the recording. The person who helped in the second generation desing was John Amira. I remember LP first generation of batá, they were huge! Patato wrote some wrong dimensions in a napkin to Martin Cohen, and Martin went and mass produced them.

Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby timo » Mon Nov 26, 2001 3:58 pm

thank you all very much
timo

Postby timo » Tue Nov 27, 2001 11:07 am

hi .i'm considering making my own batas drum, and i'm just asking what is the most commonly used skin for batas, and what are the dimensions for the heads and the center part of batas ? thanks.
timo

Postby tamboricua » Tue Nov 27, 2001 7:12 pm

Hi Timo, hope all is well. The most commonly used type of skin for a traditional Cuban batá is a male goat. The mass produced batá (LP. Meinl, Pearl, Toca) use water buffalo. Regarding the dimensions they vary according to each drum maker or manufacturer. For more info check out: http://www.batadrums.com, lots of info on batá construction. Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Asbjorn Sundal » Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:56 am

If any of you are ever in Havana, you can call my teacher Emilio del Monte. He is conguero in Cubanismo, and a very good bata plater. He is also a fantastic teacher.
Asbjorn Sundal

Postby Laurent Lamy » Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:59 am

Thanks for the info
Laurent Lamy

Postby BCongero » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:12 pm

I love Bata! I've made it through the oro secco on Okunkalo, now it's time to learn songs and move to Itotele eventually. In my Bata trio I am the youngest and least experienced. I really lucked out finding people to play with... they asked me if I would like to do it!! They both have been studying and going to Cuba for about 7 years. They know the entire secco on all three drums and already know a bunch of songs. It's awesome. They are probably the only people in Colorado with this amount of knowledge and experience.

We have LP Bata and love them! Oh yeah we play the Havana style of Bata.

Peace,

Brenden
No cruzado!
BCongero

Postby yusef33 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi, it's been almost 2 years since anyone has replied to this post and I want to share with the world about a great Percussion manufacturing company entitled ISLA PERCUSSIONS. If you are still looking for a set of affordable Handcrafted authentic sounding Cuban style bata or conga drums give ISLA PERCUSSIONS a call. For more information I've attached a link to their website, you will find more contact information there as well. http://www.islapercussions.com/
Also, I want to add that www.youtube.com has some video clips of the congas being played in various styles. Just do a search for ISLA PERCUSSIONS and there you will see about 3 clips to select from.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... laBata.JPG
yusef33

Postby yusef33 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:44 pm

Oh!!! I forgot to mention that the picture posted is my Bata set made by ISLA PERCUSSIONS. I've added more pictures with various viewing angles.
These drums are beautiful and sound exactly like some of the better Bata batteries(set) I've listened to in comparison to Cuban field recordings and some of the modern studio recordings such as Antologia Yoruba - Julio Davalos - Adrian Coburg, Santisimo(Emilio Barreto), just to name a few.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 7-Isla.jpg
yusef33

Postby Garvin » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:24 pm

Wow! Those are gorgeous... The guy I learned from got his from Motherland Music in CA. They were traditional style rope-tuned drums and were also beautiful. He studied a little from John Amira and we played out of that book. We had a fairly un-committed group though and really could only get together about once or twice a month. I loved playing bata and only wish it were more accessible where I live now. I don't have the ability to introduce it into a community at my current level of experience, but I would gladly join an existing group.
Garvin

Previous

Return to Bata Drums