Gon Bops batas

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Whopbamboom » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:17 am

I ran across a set of older Gon Bops batas (set of three drums) for sale, and was wondering about the value of a set in good used condition. These are white drums, but I do not know exactly how old they are, or the material they are made from. Anybody know what a decent price range might be for these?

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... sBatas.jpg
Whopbamboom

Postby OLSONGO » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:56 pm

WBB you are looking at about $1,200 if wood.
fiber glass I would't pay more than $800.

Paz Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby yambu321 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:08 pm

NICE LOOKING BATAS WBB, HOPFULLY THEY ARE MADE OF WOOD. IF THEY ARE, THEY WOOD BE AN EXCELLENT ADDITION TO YOUR COLLECTION. BARGAIN, AND HOPEFULLY YOU'LL GET AN AWESOME DEAL :D
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:54 pm

These drums are identical to my first set. The white is a fiberglass or apoxy finish covering wood. They scratch very easily and the sizes are akward; they are too large.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Whopbamboom » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:20 am

I guess they are priced fairly at $600, but thank you for the input-- perhaps I'll hold out for something else (maybe Isla??) instead of picking these up.

I should mention-- the owner says that they used them when touring with Earth, Wind, and Fire...

Edited By Whopbamboom on 1194740505
Whopbamboom

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:09 am

Good price, interesting history, but bad size dimentions. The okonkolo is the size of a normal itotele.
-david
davidpenalosa

Postby vinnieL » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:27 am

Whopbamboom wrote:I guess they are priced fairly at $600, but thank you for the input--

I should mention-- the owner says that they used them when touring with Earth, Wind, and Fire...

It seems someone has decided to speak negatively about Isla around here and i will tell you i am no Bata expert but i can tell you Mario puts out a beautiful product and i love the fact that you actually speak to the man with the file in his hand. Mario is also just as passionate about the music so sound is important to him. I am sure his Bata's are beautiful indeed. Someone else on the forum bought a set and loved them i would try to contact that individual to get his latest feedback and Talk to the man himself and get feedback from him. I myself will probably order one from him in the near future to start that part of my drumming education
vinnieL

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:27 am

Hey vinnie,
We are talking about some old GON BOP batas here. No one "has decided to speak negatively about Isla". I think you may have misundertood a posting.

If someone did have a critique of Isla or any other drum manufacture though, this forum would definitely be the place. I don't know of one drum maufacturer that EVERYBODY likes. It's often a matter of different tastes and preferences.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby vinnieL » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:40 am

No David i was reffering to negative post on another thread not this one. Nothing on this thread was negative. I apologize for the confusion.

Edited By vinnieL on 1194771046
vinnieL

Return to Bata Drums