New Batas - Good Vibes, please

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Ivan » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:21 pm

Hola Conga Family,

I thought I would share that thanks to my good friend JC Johnny Conga, I now have a brand spankin' new beautiful set of Bata Drums - produced by the Pearl Percussion Company.

Currently I working on mounting better skins on all three drums as we all know factory made drums don't come with very good skins all the time... :;): Thanks to my buddy Isaac, I will get the best dang skins out there :p

Click Here to see the Batas

I am almost ready to begin this new journey of studying bata.

Wish me well on this new endeavour...
:laugh:

Edited By Ivan on 1096057563
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:29 pm

You can start by going to BATADrums.com.......then we'll whip ur butt into shape at rehearsals.....I can't wait myself.....c u there... :D ..........kila kila kila kila ...unpac unpac ....unpacumpacum..............."JC" Johnny Conga.... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby Raymond » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:54 am

JC,

You recommend the Pearl Bata's? Let me know, I want to get some to "complete my collection of drums". (I'll talk to Glen C to see what he could get me).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:31 pm

Hi Raymond.....Well for one we had to change all the heads on them. They were too thin and especially the Iya. Itotele was ok, but Ivan will be changing the heads on it also. They sounded really good, feel good, look good, made well. What was missing was on the crowns was a place to clip a belt on to,usually welded on to the crown. Other than that we're happy with them and have started to incorporate them into my NEW "folkloric" perc. ensamble "ORIGENS". With Ivan Galvez, Tor Dietrichson, Tahoma, and Steve,I forget his last name, and I. Here is a photo of the original group in Los Angeles back in the 80's. I'm the one playing the 2 black LPs in the top photo. Each photo is a different "routine rhythm"......."JC" Jhnny Conga.....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... IGENS_.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby yalla » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:28 am

Hey guys! ... you may want to check out those bata:

http://www.kambala-percussion.com/bata.html

I heard them played by the most recognized (and there are few anyway) batalero in Italy and they sound REALLY good. In my opinion, much more authentic than LP's, Pearl's, Toca's...
BTW, how do you manage with the fardela? Do you make your own? How? :)
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby Colacao » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:38 am

It's the first time I see "Bata-djembe" if it sound good
why not.

Cola
Colacao

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:17 pm

I have to admit that's a different look allright. Now where in South America are there BATA drums??? It states at that site they come from South America?????.....Once again they come from Nigeria where there are actually 4 sizes that are used along with Igbin drums. Only 3 are used in Cuba, today, which is standard......"JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby yalla » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:02 am

Right, there might be some not accurate info on the site (I think they assume Cuba is South America). Anyway, I can tell they sound very good! :)
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby tamboricua » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:51 pm

JC,

Hope all is well! Does the Pearl Iyá enu head still comes with the fadela? Do you know that head diameter?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:25 am

Vaya Tamboricua...As far as I know there is NO Bata drums that come with the Fardela already on it, outside of Cuba. Neither do the Pearls....ya know I didn't measure the enu on the Iya but I'll say it's at least a 12 1/4 head. I'll measure it on sunday when we get together with my new perc ensemble "Origins"......"JC" Johnny Conga.... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:21 pm

Thanks JC,

I believe when the Pearl's batá were introduced couple of years back they came with a fadela on the Iyá. I guess they desisted of the idea, since it's easier to mass produce without it.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1097432007
tamboricua

Postby Assaf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:05 pm

Hey folks

I'd love to know how to make a fardela, or some substitute that isn't too complex. I have an Iya that needs it I think, but traditional Fardela seems ridiculously complex. Maybe someone can suggest something else? If you have a suggestion, then could you please post it here
http://www.congaplace.com/cgi-bin....&t=1215
where I've already asked the question?
Thanks
Assaf
Assaf

Return to Bata Drums