Bata Questions for Purchase - Please help me choose what to do

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Bachikaze » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:35 am

Bata Questions

I'm seriously considering getting an iya bata. I have spotted a Pearl 12.5" for $300 online. I hate buying drums online, but there are no batas in San Diego shops. So, whatever I learn about iyas from you guys would be helpful.

First, you should know I'm not buying it to play in a bata ensemble. I'm getting it as a lap bass drum to play with congas, African drums, and other assorted percussion.

I have seen in threads here that Pearls are good iyas except for the heads. I have also read elsewhere that traditionally, batas have male goat or deer heads, both rather soft-sounding skins. The Pearl bata has water buffalo, which has a bad reputation for conga players. Right now, I don't want to buy a $300 drum, then turn around and buy an expensive hide (I was thinking I would use deer and add a plasticine faldera).

Is the sound of the Pearl iya acceptable with the original buffalo heads? I don't mind getting a replacement head later, but prefer not to do it now.

My second question is: are Iyas loud enough to hold their own in a small ensemble of non-bata? I have never played one, and I really don't know. Many congas have very quiet bass tones, and the Pearl iya has similar qualities (12.5" head, thick skin). 12" djembes, similar in shape to the boca end of a bata, produce a good bass, but they don't project it well. Can an iya provide a bottom for a five-drummer ensemble?

Thanks for any help you can give. I would like to order on Sunday night (March 2).

By the way, an alternative I am considering is making a bata out of a 12" djembe, by putting a small head on the bottom and maybe deer on top. Has anyone else had success with this?

Edited By Bachikaze on 1204418247
Bachikaze

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:48 pm

To answer your second question: Yes! Bata, Iya especially, can be heard through a ensemble of non-bata. They're loud. Big open slaps and huge open tones are two of the main tones, along with muffs and touches.

I'm not familiar with Pearl's bata, so can't answer your questions there.
Ben

Postby Bachikaze » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:53 am

Thank you. Your answer was most helpful.
Bachikaze

Return to Bata Drums