any ideas on 'fixing' faldera?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby El Boni » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:50 am

Que Bola?

Does anyone out there have any ideas about 'fixing' over-sticky faldera?

It's just impractical to play with. I'm now living in Hong Kong - where the climate is very hot and humid - and after a long session the stuff is virtually sliding down the drum. Aside from the mess (it's getting everywhere) I'm concerned about losing it all: at the current rate of attrition there'll be none left in a year or so.

I guess they must have used a slightly different mixture, as the bata I've played before seemed to have 'set'.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

B
El Boni

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:39 pm

WELCOME EL BONI....you might want to try some "baby powder" on the fardela to take away that stickyness, but I dont know what mixture was used . I have another question for you.....I want to bring my band to Hong Kong, do u have ANY connections with Music promoters??...do they have a lot of Latin/Salsa bands in HK?>......peace..."JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... LIENTE.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby El Boni » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:32 am

Thanks for the suggestion Johnny - I hadn't thought of that, will try it out.

I only arrived in Hong Kong a couple of months ago, so don't have alot of connections yet. There certainly aren't many latin/salsa bands. In fact, only one that I know of ('Azucar Latina'), whom I play with, run by a Dominican.

There is a fairly established salsa dance scene, but there's no real connection to live music, and certainly nothing exploring the folkloric side of things. I'm hoping to kickstart something here.

I'll ask around and try to send you some possible leads re promoters.

B
El Boni

Postby niallgregory » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:08 am

one way if you cant get your fardela to stick is to use plastercine or some sort of modeling clay as a substitute for traditional fardela.I have used this on my bata for a long time and found it very effective.Hope this helps.
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Assaf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:38 pm

Hey, I would like to make some fardela or fardela substitute for my Iya. I'd appreciate any pointers to something simpler than proper fardela which I can't locate or make.

Can you tell me more about the plastercine and modeling clay suggestion? How should I go about doing that? Is it as simple as going to a kids' toy shop, buying plastercine and sticking it on? Or is there more to it?

Assaf

Postby Bachikaze » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:30 am

I've been experimenting with various substances for fardelas.

I tried modeling clay, but it fell off in a short time. I replaced it with a putty used to stick posters on walls. One brand name we have in the US is Funtack. This stayed on well and gave a great sound. The only problem was that is stayed soft.

I am in the process of replacing it with silicone sealant, which hardens to a rubbery material. So far, its problem is that it doesn't damp the sound of the drum much, but it is still curing.

I got the modeling clay at a crafts store, the poster putty at an office supply store (Office Depot).

Edited By Bachikaze on 1205371927
Bachikaze

Return to Bata Drums