Chaworo

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Chaworo

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:16 am

Ralph,

John Amira says in his book "The Music of Santeria":

"These bells are sometimes associated with Ochún (one of Changó's many wives) but authorities disagree on this point."

This statement reflects my own take on the subject. The Orisha-connection to the chaworó is not as strong here as the association with the Egun (collective souls of the dead) and Ikú (Death), the latter of which is also strengthened in a specific Odù in Ifá. In Cuban Lucumí language, Ikú and Egun are sometimes even, if seldomly, confused. Practically spoken, the bells are to keep away los muertos from Orisha ceremonies, which is why the chaworó are not employed in toques for the Egun. Babalawo and musician Michael Marcuzzi promotes the idea that the bells also protect the efficacy of Anyá in the womb-like body of the batá drum against the Iyámi (witches).

If you wanted to find an association with an Orisha, you had to go by the material. Your idea is not too far fetched, as Ogún is the owner of all metals; but he is particularly representing iron. Many bells, however, are made from brass. Yellowish metals, such as brass or gold, belong to Ochún, as you might know. Silvery types of metal (silver, zinc, pewter, nickel, chrome) belong to Obatala, while lead (rather unusual for bells) is the metal of Yemaya. Bronze is - as far as I remember - associated either with Ochún (especially in Africa) or with Oyá (Cuba).

The ritualism and theology of the Yoruban chaworó is not transferable to the nkembi, although drummers who are active in both batá and the rumba/Congolese fields, may feel an analogy as well.

A word like "chawori" does not exist in the Yoruba language. I don't know who has brought up this name for the smaller bell strand on the chachá of the iyá, but in the particular batá circles in Havana where I was around, nobody used that term. Chaworó is the Yoruba word for any chiming instruments, like bells (campanillas) or jingles (cascabeles), and that is the only name I know and use.

Thomas

P.S.: I forgot copper which belongs to Oyá in Cuba (not sure whether it perhaps belongs to Ochún in Africa). TA
Thomas Altmann

Re: Chaworo

Postby ralph » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:43 pm

thomas, thanks for your reply...as Ogun is owner of all metals, i did find it a stretch to say that the chaworo was associated specifically with him...thanks for also clarifying the "non-use" of the chaworo, for toques para egun....
ralph

Return to Bata Drums